Nearly 5 months post-op, do I have a polly beak deformity? (photos)

I am a 20 y.o female and I had an open rhinoplasty on 1/2/17. A few months following the procedure, I could feel a slight bump on the bridge of my nose, but I assumed it was just residual swelling. After receiving my 'after' pictures from my surgeon's office, I realized that that slight bump was in fact very noticeable in photos. Do I have a polly beak deformity, or is this just swelling that will subside? I have made an appointment to see my Dr. next week to bring up these concerns. Thanks!

Fullness just above the tip of the nose after Rhinoplasty

Dear Alyrae9

You are doing the right thing by scheduling an appt with your surgeon to discuss and have an examination. 

The fullness that you are noticing above the tip of the nose needs to be examined to be able to tell you what it likely represents and if there are options to help.

You should expect changes for the first year after your surgery, and if you and your surgeon are uncomfortable with the result then it can be discussed. 

Best Wishes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Alyrae9

Best Wishes

Revision rhinoplasty for polybeak deformity ?

Revision rhinoplasty for polybeak deformity ? based on the photos you submitted it does appear that you have a polybeak deformity with insufficient tip  projection and you should discuss the correction of this with your surgeon. If you need a second opinion make sure you see a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural results. 

A "Poly Beak" is a fullness above the nasal tip after rhinoplasty - either from swelling or from excessive bridge cartilage.

Your photo may reveal a poly beak, but the cause and management would require an examination. If your lower bridge fullness is from swelling, a dilute steroid injection may be helpful. If your lower bridge fullness if firm, like excessive cartilage, it may need to need to be removed to obtain a more pleasing nasal profile. Good luck with your upcoming visit, and I hope this is helpful for you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon