4 weeks post-op, am I maybe feeling my implant? Is it normal for it to be hard on the lower outer side?

I'm about 4 weeks post op and whenever I sit up I feel like my left boob, towards the lower outer side is harder and that I am maybe feeling the implant? I don't feel this much on the right side. Is that normal?

Breasts feel different on the two sides a month after surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

I understand your concern and doubt that anything is wrong but without an examination, no one can tell you what you are feeling and if this is expected. Please see your surgeon for your 6 week follow-up appointment and have your surgeon check you and tell you what is going on.

Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Something hard on the side of the breast - implant port, or lump, etc.

I would recommend a quick follow-up with your surgeon to have your concerns addressed because it could be the implant, or it could be something else such a lump.

If you had saline implants placed in your breasts, then rippling it common with them, and they can feel hard upon touch. The implant could be palpable under the breasts, on the inner and outer sides of the breasts, especially if there is less soft-tissue coverage for the implant. It could also be that the saline implant's fill port and plug is being directly felt at the bottom side, while it is not positioned the same way in the right breast.

As you can see, many of the answers are just speculations based on whether you have saline implants or not.

It is best to have your breasts examined by your plastic surgeon. Their instructions and advice should take precedence over everything else you read here.  

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Implants can be palpable

so you really need to see your surgeon for an evaluation of your concerns and to get the reassurances you need to allow you to continue to heal without anxiety.  The outer lower quadrants are where the tissue coverage is the thinnest and its normal that it may be palpable on one side and not both sides.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. It is hard to determine what you may be feeling from the description you have provided. An evaluation would be the best way to determine what may be going on. 

Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Feel the implant?

Thank you for your question.  It is very common to be able to feel the implant, especially on the outer and lower part of the breast--this is where you are the thinnest and have the least amount of tissue over the implant.  Always smart to have your surgeon check it out and put your mind at ease.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Am I feeling the implants

Thanks you for your question.  Without pictures or an examination, it's impossible to answer your question. You could indeed be feeling your implant in the lower outer quadrant of your breasts. Remember there is no muscle coverage there. If you're concerned about this, you should see you contact your surgeon. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon, so that they can evaluate you. It is possible to feel the implant. This is more common in women who are thin. On the lower outer quadrant the implant is covered by the least amount of tissue and that's where he can be the most palpable.

Congratulations on your recent surgery.