Is 68 to old to undergo a tummy tuck and breast lift? I am in good health, do not smoke but am a little overweight.

Age is not a contraindication to contouring procedures

and you can certainly have the procedures you desire assuming you health is indeed, good.  Your chosen surgeon should be able to tell you with certainty but from your statement, I would anticipate you can.  As for your weight, being overweight is not a contraindication as long as your weight is maintained and that you are not experiencing a progressive weight gain and that your definition of a 'little overweight' is true and that you are not obese.  Some doctors use a BMI of 30 as their max as higher BMI's increase risks for complications.  So choose a surgeon locally so your follow-ups are simple.  And if you like, I have strong preferences in your town and you can contact my office if you wish to find out.

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

As long as you are in overall good health and cleared for elective surgery by your primary care doctor, age is not a limiting factor.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Thank you for your question. Age is not a contra-indication for cosmetic surgery. Your overall health is a much more important factor. I would rather operate on a very healthy 68 year-old than a 48 year-old with a large list of medical problems and co-morbidities.

I would suggest you schedule a consultation with several board certified plastic surgeons in your area. Once you meet to discuss your goals, you can review whether or not you would be a good candidate for surgery. Everyone has a different opinion and protocol, so it might be best to get several consultations. One thing that might be beneficial is to discuss staging the procedures to limit the amount of time you are under a general anesthetic. You should discuss this option with your chosen surgeon.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the question. Age is not a contraindication for have surgeries. The most important thing is your health as long as you are healthy you can undergo procedures. Also it would be important that you don't smoke. It is best to set up a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Good Luck.

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for the question and if you are in good health you certainly should be able to undergo a breast lift and abdominoplasty.  So go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area and see if you are a good candidate for the desired procedures.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

68 and interested in tummy tuck and breast lift.

Thank you for your question.  Being 68 years old and in generally good health should make you a fine candidate for a tummy tuck and breast lift.  However, I would make an appointment to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can go over your full medical history to then determine if you are healthy enough for these procedures.

Best wishes! 

Is 68 too old to undergo a tummy tuck and breast lift?

As plastic surgeons we generally consider your physiological age rather than your chronological age as a determinant of your suitability for elective plastic surgery.  This means that if you are a non-smoker who exercises regularly and is close to a healthy and maintainable weight you may well be a candidate.  Of equal importance is the question of safety of combination procedures such as tummy tuck and breast lift and their safety since tummy tucks are known to have a higher risk of DVT or deep vein thrombosis. Surgeries of less than 5 to 6 hours duration are generally considered to be acceptable, but you will need to decide whether you wish to undergo both and combine the recovery after one anesthetic.  Discuss this carefully with your ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

68 year old too old for a mommy makeover

A 68 year old is not too old for a mommy makeover as long as you are healthy. Please see mommy makeover results below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Great question. If you are in good health, then you're not too old to undergo a tummy tuck and breast lift. Of course, a discussion with your plastic surgeon about the pros and cons of combining the two surgeries will be important. I would consider several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Is 68 too old for Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck?

Hi and thank you for your question! How exciting that you are thinking of doing these things for yourself!

Age is not the primary determining factor for these procedures. Your overall health is more important as well as your anatomy and its suitability for the procedures that you are interested in. I always require patients to obtain a clearance physical from their primary care doctor before proceeding . Also, your weight is an important factor which you would discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon at your consultation. (generally speaking a BMI less than 30)

Best wishes for a great experience

Leilie Javan, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon