I'm allergic to all types of adhesive and I have an upcoming Tummy Tuck. What are my options?

All adhesives create a crazy tight bond with my skin. It's like they become one. So removing anything usually removes quite a bit of skin unless I site with this little pads do adhesive remover and work at it for a long time. This is how I have removed every IV and in some cases those gel pads from an EKG. Need some alternative ideas for a tummy tuck. They glued me on my last c-section. Not sure that would yield a nice scar.

Thank you for your question. it is best to contact your anesthesiologist.

Tummy Tuck operation is performed under general anesthesia and it takes to perform the procedure nearly 3 hours when it is performed by a team of plastic surgeons. It is really important to decrease the operation duration to give less anesthesia to the patient yielding a better postoperative period to the patient. You will be advised not to eat 6 hours before the surgery and that is all! You will get a physical examination by your surgeon and anesthetist. After the examination; we will prepare you for the surgery. You will receive a sedation in order to reduce the preoperative anxiety and fell yourself more comfortable.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tell your surgeon

Tell your surgeon about your allergies as they may be able to use something that is less "sticky" so you won't have too much trouble removing it.

Avoiding adhesives with surgery

Discuss with your surgeon for a plan and tell the anesthesiologist before surgery. No tape needs to be used for the dressing. Cautery and EKG pads do use adhesives. Detachol is a product that loosens adhesive and so does olive oil. 

Allergic to adhesives

Please discuss your allergies with your plastic surgeon and nurses taking care of you.  Glue and tapes can be avoided by using external sutures.  Dressings can be held in place with abdominal binders. However, EKG pads will be needed in surgery, as well as some tape to secure your IV tubing.  We do have newer dressings that are much more skin friendly.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

I'm allergic to all types of adhesives and I have an upcoming tummy tuck. What are my options?

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  Thank you for your question and photos! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure.  Meticulous closure of the incisions is an important factor.  Tapes and such are simply reinforcements and not required.  Some options may be for a surgical glue (e.g., DermaBond or Prineo) or even ointment with/out a nonadherent gauze (e.g., Xeroform).  Discuss your reaction to adhesives with your team prior to your surgical procedure.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD