Yesterday I had periareolar augmentation/mastopexy. 330 cc under the muscle. What is a good bra choice? (photos)

All Went well and recovery is fine so far. Going back to work on tuesday and would like to find a bra to wear to work that is less bulky than the bra I was given at hoapital. Other than no underwire - what else do i need to look for in a "recovery bra"? Any recommendations for brand or style that will support but also look nice under clothing?

Post Op Bra

Hello,The bra pictured here is similar to the ones I provide for my patients. I advise them to wear the support bra for 8 weeks after surgery, day and night. I also advise against underwire bras during this time. If you'd like to discuss an alternative bra I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to recommend something for you.
All the best

What is a good bra choice?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast procedure. There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. 

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.  

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery. This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Bra choice

We certainly all have different postoperative protocols, but I do place my patients is a surgical bra similar to the one you are wearing for 8 weeks after surgery.  In general, a bra that offers the right amount of pressure/support (not too tight on your nipples/incisions, but tight enough to help resolve swelling), is comfortable (doesn't  itch--I feel cotton is best), and can be washed suits my patients' needs best.

Regina M. Fearmonti, MD
New Braunfels Plastic Surgeon

What bra after breast augmentation

In my experience there is no one bra brand or type that seems to be best for all patients. Each surgeon I'm sure we'll have a different opinion as to which garment should be worn after breast augmentation. For our patients, I tell them to not wear an underwire or formfitting, push up type bra for six weeks.Either a camisole type top or a sports bra is preferable. Our patients seem to do well with a jogging bra that zips in the middle. I would ask your chosen plastic surgeon who best knows what they did, which type of bra will be best for you. Congratulations on your surgery. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Post Procedure Bras

Hello mcbeth32, Glad to hear everything is going well. I would first reach out to your surgeon's office or review your post-op information and see what their recommendations are. This is important because they are responsible for your care and anything that could affect your outcome. Post surgery garments have come a long way, we see cool colors and patterns nowadays, but in general, they don't look stylish or great under clothes because their main function is to support your during your healing. If your surgeon's office is no help with leads, I would just go on a shopping excursion yourself. I would recommend really going somewhere so you can try these on, this would not be a time for Amazon. Brands aren't really important, in fact, I wouldn't look for anything pricey simply because these are temporary garments. You just want to stick with something in breathable cotton, that opens in the front. I would look for sports bra styles, but a happy medium that supports, but is not restricting. So, not a true sport (tennis/running) bra. I would recommend a thicker strap and avoid "bralettes" as well. You should be able to find something that works under your business attire, you just may need to make modifications for the next few weeks.Good luck! 

William Aiello, MD

Bra for recovery

Congratulations on your surgery!  When shopping for a bra to wear during recovery you want to look for something that is supportive, but not binding.  Avoiding underwire, as you've mentioned is also suggested.  There are many brands out there, and as women are all individuals, there is not one style that is best for everyone.  Shop around and try different styles on to find the one that suits you best.  Keep in mind that what may fit best today, may not fit the same in a few weeks as healing continues and your breasts begin to settle.  Best wishes!

Camille Cash, MD