I'm two weeks post TT today and very very swollen, will I ever stop swelling from my TT? And will the swelling go away? (Photo)

I am two weeks post TT and I don't think I was the best candidate for this TT. My stomach is so big still it doesn't even look like I had a TT. I'm almost embarrassed to tell people I had one because I see no difference AT ALL from pre TT

Please see your surgeon

Your before pictures would have been helpful. Please see your surgeon to make sure that the swelling is not due to the seroma. 

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

I'm two weeks post TT today and very very swollen, will I ever stop swelling from my TT? And will the swelling go away?

Two weeks is too early to judge the results. It takes 3 to 6 months for swelling to resolve. Follow up with your plastic surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Concerned about results 2 weeks postop

Sorry to hear that you are so concerned.  I would urge you to be as patient as possible. You are still very early in the recovery process. I advise my patience to wait at least 2 to 3 months before truly assessing their final result. At this point it would be normal to have a great deal of swelling which can affect your assessment. Nonetheless, always a good idea to convey your concerns to your surgeon. Hang in there and good luck!

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs.

Swelling is completely normal after a tummy tuck but everybody heals at different rates. Swelling will start to resolve over 4-6 months after your tummy tuck procedure. It is important to follow your surgeon’s aftercare instructions and you should start to notice your results begin to refine and swelling should dissipate leaving you with your true result.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Tummy Tuck

Swelling two weeks after a tummy tuck is normal. This should improve over the next 6-8 weeks and stabilize around the 6-month mark. As for not seeing a difference, "before" photos would be of great help in making that determination. I can't imagine that no extra skin was removed. You may want to review your "before" photos. Also, hopefully your plastic surgeon explained to you that patients who are overweight or obese with significant intraabdominal fat or visceral fat may not have a flat tummy after a tummy tuck and may continue to have a rounded shape due to the internal fat around the organs pushing outward. However, the extra skin will be gone. Weight loss down to a healthy BMI will make your result even better. Make sure to share your concerns with your plastic surgeon and ask their advice for a healthy weight loss plan in conjunction with or after your initial recovery. Best of luck!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Swollen After Tummy Tuck

I'm sorry you don't see a difference yet, but you are still early out from surgery so hang in there!  I would continue to follow closely with your surgeon and follow their recommendations.  I would also ask your surgeon if they think you may have a seroma that needs to be drained.  Again, I would share your concerns with your surgeon and see what they say.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Sw

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Now, the swelling can last for quite a while but if you find yourself concerned or worried about the healing process then the best idea is to visit your surgeon to have the area examined for proper healing. Good luck.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photo. You are still relatively early in the post-operative period and should expect to have swelling for three to six months following your tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Tummy Tuck: No Difference

Dear Crystal1101

Thank you for your pictures.  It's hard to tell your progress without before pictures.  I will tell you that it takes abut 3 months before all the swelling is gone and for you to determine your result.  Keep following your surgeon's advice.  Best wishes.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Liquid Retention

Good Morning

The inflammation process after a TT is normal, some patients retain more liquids than others and you only have two week post surgery but is important that you contact your surgeon and let him know about the situation. You need to be drained as soon as possible. Also you need massages. The swelling will go away if you follow your doctors instructions and remember to wear your faja at all times, 24/7.

Argeny Mercedes Guzman, MD