If I wanted to get a breast lift with a small implant, will the scars go away?

And also I haven't Had any children yet do If I decide to in the future will it effect my results

Scarring depends on the individual's genetics, some people form scars that are totally invisible and cannot be seen even with a magnifying glass, some form more conspicuous scars.  There are some rules that will help to minimize scarring, among these rules: minimal tension on the suture line, tape support for a period of 6-12 weeks, healthy nutrition.  Hope this helps.

Your surgeon will discuss scar management for your best result.  After the scar matures, most patients are happy with the result.  You are making a trade when you have a breast lift.  You are trading scars for prettier shaped breast.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast lift

Thank you for your question. The scars never completely go away, but they tend to be very acceptable in appearance for most women. It can change the sensitivity to the nipples, so just be aware of that. If you became pregnant, the breasts often change a little. You may do just fine, but also a possibility that you might want a revision of the breast lift down the road if additional skin needs to be tightened up. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Scars, following any surgery, take time to form and then time to fade.  A scar will be most noticeable about 6 weeks following a surgery and will take 6 to 12 months or more to fade.  Even after a year there will still be a scar, but hopefully, the scar will be thinner, whiter and finer than wen it was "immature".  Ask your surgeon about their recommendations regarding topical treatments such as silicone sheeting (Embrace), topical hydrocortizone cream and sun blocks to help speed the process.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Lift with implant scars heal well

Hi.  Full thickness scars needed for a breast lift will fade and can be placed strategically around the areolae to limit visibility, but don't technically "go away".  The normal physiologic breast growth and milk production that occurs with pregnancy is not altered by implants or a lift, but you may see a change in shape afterwards that requires a small touchup.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with an ABPS certified plastic surgeon who can tell you more based upon your specific needs.

Breast lift and scars

Unfortunately, scars are permanent, but many fade quite nice. Sometimes a lift with implants can be done just with a scar around the border of the areola.

Scars after surgery

Thanks for your inquiry and scars are always permanent.  They never go away-but they often improve greatly over time.  Your genetics have a lot to do with the final scar result.  Good Luck.  

Breast lift with implants

Dear Bes08,
Scars from breast surgery will be permanent.  The final visibility of those scars depends on your skin healing genetics.  Some patients form very fine light scars and some form highly visible thick or discolored scars.  Pregnancy after a breast lift will certainly have an effect on your results.  Good luck!

Breast lift w/ implant

Hello and thank you for your question. The scars fade over the course of a year, if good technique is used. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Scars never "go away"

Thanks for your question.  Unfortunately, scars never "disappear."  As plastic surgeons, we do our best to create the best scars possible, but can't alter a patients genetics or propensity for more aggressive scar formation.  In general, scars will fade and soften/lighten over time.  There are products available that can help improve scar appearance.  Best Regards.