Vaginal tightening question.

What is the name of the procedure that tightens the actual inside of the vagina? Not the opening but inside of the vagina, also how much does this cost usually and is it best done by an OBGYN or a plastic surgeon?

Doctor Answers 8

Vaginal Tightening

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.   Vaginal tightening is typically a 2 step procedure that allows for tightening of the vaginal canal on the inside making the vaginal diameter smaller and therefore increasing friction during intercourse.  The second step is performing a perineoplasty and tightening the opening of the vaigna.

I would first recommend a good physical examination to asses for any other pelvic floor issues that may need to be addressed by either a gyn or cosmetic surgeon that performs these routinely.

A straightforward vaginal tightening procedure can easily and safely be performed under local anesthesia in an office type procedure room.

Best of luck.

Vaginoplasty, Usually from Plastic and Obstetric Surgeons together

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Candidates of Vaginal Rejuvenation or Vaginoplasty surgery are women who desire a more youthful appearance and function of the vulva and vaginal area.  For some women, the effects of childbirth, aging, trauma, and/or genetics, causes their vaginal tissue and muscles to become stretched, which results in loss of strength and tone in the vaginal area. This may result in decreased intimacy and sexual satisfaction. In some cases, the laxity of tissues can be visible. 

The lining of the vagina can be reduced, removing excess and redundant mucosa decreasing the diameter of the canal. The muscle ring, pubococcygeus, at the entrance or introitus can be tightened.  These procedures along with exercises such as Kegles can help keep the muscle tone in this area. Aesthetic Vaginoplasty, in many cases, can increase friction during intercourse, giving women more control of vaginal muscles, increasing sexual satisfaction, while also creating a more attractive and appealing appearance to the vaginal area.

#Costs will depend upon the specific surgery that is requested, type of anaesthesia, experience of the surgery, and geographic location.

Estimated fees can be found on Real Self, and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery websites.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for this question asnit is a common source of confusion because there are so many terms that are used. 

Vaginoplasty (sometimes called vaginaplasty, vaginal rejuvenation) is the tightening of the inside of the vagIna. There are many different techniques. Some newer devices report results with nonsurgical or minimally invasive technologies such as laser or radiofrequency. Most surgical approaches remove a small portion of the back wall of the vagina and tighten it by sewing closed the remaining portion.

In most instances of vaginoplasty the outer entrance of the vagina (near the hymen) is also made smaller at the same time and extends towards the anus which is termed a perieoplasty. While all vaginoplastys almost always include a perinoplasty, the reverse is not always true and a perineoplasty can be performed by itself as is done with an expedition you scar revision.

By the way, I am pleased to be joining my esteemed gynecological colleagues in answering this question. We are all familar with each other.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

What procedure tightens the vagina?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A vaginoplasty is the procedure to tighten the vaginal canal.  A perineoplasty tightens the opening.  The terminology "vaginal rejuvenation" refers to a combination of this surgical technique or to office based procedures using laser or radiofrequency energy.   

The best physicians are surgeons that specialize in the field of "cosmetic gynecology."   Some plastic surgeons who specialize in cosmetic gynecology do very well with labiaplasties which is altering the outside appearance of the lips but I tend to think that specialist gynecologists do better with the vaginal tightening because that is our specific area of anatomical expertise.

 A subspecialty of gynecology -  urogynecology or Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery - is a surgeon who specializes in the repair of the organ structures that fall through the vagina.  This is pelvic organ prolapse and is a frequent problems women experience who are seeking vaginal tightening. .  

Vaginoplasty tightens inside; Perineoplasty aesthetically tightens and bulks opening

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Spending some time navigating the website linked by the weblink below will help-- especially look at the Blogs... A Perineoplasty (includes "perineorrhaphy") removes scar tissue from the opening, brings the muscles together, adds bulk to the vulvar vestibule, and repairs the opening ("introitus") in an aesthetic manner. A "Vaginoplasty" is an operation only performed by a small number of specially trained Ob-Gyns (rarely plastic surgeons) which includes a "posterior colporrhaphy and is SPECIFIC for narrowing/"tightening" the outer 2/3's of the vaginal barrel and re-approximating your levator ("Kegels") muscles to the midline. "General Gyns and Urogyns are NOT trained in this unless they can prove to you specialized training & experience. The vast majority of Plastic Surgeons only work on the opening, not at all on the "inside." The so-called "non-invasive" technologies (laser; RF) touted by many docs may be nice to add-on for incontinence, but are not good tightening procedures!! p.s. A standard "A-P REPAIR is NOT A VAGINOPLASTY OR GOOD LONG-LASTING TIGHTENING PROCEDURE!

Don't be afraid to "travel" to fine the best! "Penny-wise & pound foolish" = poor results, unfortunately... Best wishes,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Vaginoplasty tightens the inside of the vagina

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Thank you for your very important question, since the terms in this field can be very confusing. Vaginoplasty refers to surgically tightening the inside of the vagina and is often performed in conjunction with a Perineoplasty so that everything comes together nicely.

You should see neither a general OBGYN or plastic surgeon for this procedure! You should look for a reconstructive and cosmetic vaginal surgeon, preferably one with fellowship training in Urogynecology. These are very delicate procedures and require extensive knowledge and experience in pelvic floor reconstruction, but also in aesthetic vaginal and vulvar surgery. Please see link below for more information of this unique combination of surgical training and skills.

Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

A vaginoplasty tightens the inside of the vagina

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The operation involves tightening the muscles, repair any pelvic floor damage in the area (aka pelvic reconstruction), and tightening the skin of the canal. A vaginoplasty usually includes tightening of the vaginal opening because almost all women have laxity at both sites if the inside is loose, but if you don't have an issue there, then there is no need to address it.

Tightening the barrel

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To tighten the vaginal barrel, it is necessary to support the anterior part (bladder), and the posterior part (lining over the rectum on the inside). Therefore this is an Anterior Posterior repair or colporrhaphy. This is usually standard OBGYN surgery and not cosmetic, and involves operating room with anesthesia.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.