Why upside down T-scar all above belly button? Didn't tell me at post op apt cut me from incision to new belly button. (photo)

No idea would have new belly btn or Tscar above my bottoms possibility. Now incisin AND Tscar both above swmsuit bottoms in pics which are high & modest! At Consult disliked muffin top & little tummy pooch. Initial wanted lipo. Now terrble. Dr Said I was candidte for ttuck. At 2nd Post op apt I asked why Tscar & that was 1st time dr informed me had trouble. Said had trble closing me up, said was sweating bullets. Asked dr to do something, what could they offer me. They gave me a roll of tape!

Tscar after TT

Thank you for the question.  Photos would be helpful.  A traditional tummy tuck does involve translocation or moving of the umbilicus (belly button) to a new location which involved an incision around the belly button.  The need for a vertical incision below the belly button depends on the degree of laxity of the lower abdominal wall and whether or not the skin incision from moving the belly button can be completely removed.  I would recommend seeking a second consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine if anything else can be done to improve your result. 

Why upside down T-scar all above belly button? Didn't tell me at post op apt cut me from incision to new belly button.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your results have not been what you discussed or anticipated.  Vertical incisions are normally created when a patient does not have enough skin excess or laxity to remove the incision created when redoing the belly button.  This should have been discussed at your consultation based on physical exam findings.  Though your scar can not be appreciated well in your photographs, I would voice your concerns to your surgeon.  Unfortunately unless you have developed additional skin laxity it is difficult to change the scar's position.  

Why upside down T-scar all above belly button?

The photos you provide unfortunately just don't show the scar you are asking about and it is difficult to comment on your result. At best we suggest a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in you area to clear up confusion.

Tummy tuck - scar is a long T

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• I am so sorry you have a result you did not expect but -
  • Without before/after photos one can't comment on what was done.
  • Your surgeon however does not sound (by your description) to be Board Certified in Plastic Surgery.
  • Nor experienced with this operation - 
  • It is most unusual to need a vertical incision that goes from the groin to the belly button.
  • You would need to consult a plastic surgeon in person with before/after photos to see what might be done now, if anything can be done.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS