Can an untreated Pseudobursa cause any type of long term damage or consequence? Could it go unseen on a CT scan/ultrasound?

15 months post op full TT and MR. Had abnormally larger swelling during recovery. Discomfort, odd firm feeling (not a good firm) still remain below belly button area and right on top of belly button. Had CT scan in April of this year and did not show anything abnormal internally. Report advised edema and banding of tissue. Not sure what that is, but my doctor was not concerned. If a pseudobursa is present, and I do not have revision, would there be any consequences other than discomfort?

Edema and banding on gastric wall 15 months after tummy tuck

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• The gastric wall is difficult to assess on a CT scan.
  • But edema and gastric banding are not characteristic of a pseudobursa.
  • An ultrasound should show a pseudobursa because fluid is present.
  • If you are concerned, ask your surgeon to do an ultrasound and if that shows nothing, an MRI.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Pseudobursa consequences

No, it will just be fluid collection which can sometimes cause scar tissue.If it does not show on a CT scan, it’s either not there or very small.A pseudo bursa can usually lead to localized swelling.You should discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Long term pseudobursae

In my 25 year experience of doing tummy tucks, pseudo-bursa are quite rare. They can contribute to a long-term irregular appearance of the surface of the abdominal skin. They likewise can contribute to an uncomfortable feeling due to scar tissue. In the pseudo-bursa that I have seen, they are easily diagnosed on ultrasound and I would think even easier with CT. Once they are long-established, usually only a surgical resection of the scar cavity with obliteration of the dead space will alleviate them long-term. Recommend you go back to your plastic surgeon to discuss. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS