Uneven boobs post op. Am I botched?

I had a breast aug two days ago. Prior to the procedure my boobs were 32A and even, no sagging. My right nipple was 2 mm higher than my left but barely noticeable. When I woke up from surgery my right implant was an inch higher than my left. My left was sitting quite low, as if it had already dropped but not fluffed. There is no reason for me to be this uneven. I am still uneven 2 days post op. I am rt handed. Am I botched?

Uneven implants

Two days post op is way too early to be concerned about asymmetry. Sometimes your muscle is tighter on one side and most women have one implant higher after surgery. Be patient they will change over time 

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Uneven boobs post op.

Thank you for the question.  It is way too soon to determine if you will remain uneven.  Both sides will not act exactly the same, one may settle sooner than the other.  Swelling can take up to 2 or more months to resolve.   I would recommend following up your concerns with your surgeon. 

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

2 days post-op is too early to expect results.

Your breast augmentation surgery was two days ago. Please remember that it takes time to heal and see a final result. If you have specific concerns please contact your board certified plastic surgeon to discuss these as your surgeon will want to be sure to personally address these.  Best of luck!!!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Postop swelling

At 2 days postop, it is very early in your recovery!! Swelling can be asymmetric and can take months to resolve. Give your body some time to heal and don't judge your look until the implants have had time to settle in and swelling resolved.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

2 days postop

Two days post surgery is still very early in the healing process. It is fairly common to have asymmetry right after surgery, oftentimes your muscle is tighter on one side causing one implant to appear higher than the other. Things should improve within a few months. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a bra. Thank you for your question and good luck with your recovery.

Not dropping

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Concerns

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, as in your case, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Implant Worries

Thanks for your question.  It is very early to see your final result and usually takes 3-6 months for the implants to get into their final resting place.  Now is the time to get good rest, nutrition, and very light exercise.  Keep your post-op appointments and follow your doctor's post-op instructions. 

Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Uneven boobs post op. Am I botched?

A noticeable difference in breast size/shape may or may not be "normal"; sometimes this type of asymmetry is related to the presence of a complication. Therefore, always best to let your plastic surgeon know these types of concerns.

Otherwise, generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.
Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.
Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Without any photos, it's hard to give an opinion. At any rate, it's too early to be worried. It's best to talk to your board certified plastic surgeon who performed your surgery. Best of luck!

Dr. Dhaval M Patel

hoffman estates, south Barrington, oak brook, Naperville 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon