Is it ok to undergo Thermiva procedure when I have a Barthlin's cyst?

ThermiVa

Thank you for your question.  With Bartholin cysts Thermiva can be performed as long as there is no active infection.  We avoid direct contact of heat with the cyst, but will treat the surrounding areas.  Be sure to discuss all concerns with your Physician prior to treatment. Best of luck!

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

ThermiVa and Bartholins Cysts

Bartholins cysts and abscesses can both be painful and/or infected. I would advise not to have a thermiVa procedure until you have resolution of your Bartholins. The goal in ThermiVa is to reach maximum temperatures and treat the entire vaginal and vulvar area for best results. Having a Bartholins cyst could interfere with your results. Your physician would be the best to evaluate your condition.

Haydee Docasar, MD
Henderson OB/GYN

ThermiVa in the presence of a Bartholin's Cyst

Thanks for your question. There are two parts to the ThermiVa treatment, internal and external. A patient can decide whether to have both or just the internal for example. If your Bartholin cyst is not actively infected, I see no reason why you could not have your ThermiVa done. (In principle, we don't perform procedures in areas where there is an active infection because studies on procedures are not done with patients who have active infections). Even the external portion of the procedure could be done, simply going around the cyst itself- VERY easy to do. The benefits of this procedure are wonderful. Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

ThermiVa with a Bartholin Cyst is a journey into the Abyss

There are Bartholin cysts and Bartholin abscesses. The latter being the infected version of the former and extremely painful. Whether cooking the cyst variant with thermiva will aggravate the issue is unknown. A journey into the unknown can go south and leave you in a predicament. As an expert, I take calculated risks in agreement with the wishes of my patients, not gambles. I would advise you to avoid it.

Bartholin's Cyst

Thank you for your question.  There should be no reason you could not have ThermiVa with a cyst present.  That said, the cyst should not be inflamed or infected at the time of the treatment.  The heat used would not be enough to effect the cyst, depending on the location and size of the cyst one may want to avoid running the wand or probe over the area.  You should discussed this with your physician at the time of consult and examination.

ThermiVa

I would recommend against treating with ThermiVa if you have a Bartholin cyst even if it is not infected or painful, because we don't have any data to give us information regarding this. I would have the cyst treated an resolved before getting any ThermiVa treatments. Good luck.

Renata Wix-Harris, MD
Livingston Physician

ThermiVA contraindications

A Bartholins Cyst that is not actively infected should not be a problem when receiving ThermiVA treatment. I would recommend that you see your OB/GYN to discuss this prior to treatment if you are concerned. 

The best results with ThermiVA are seen with 3 consecutive treatments (each 1 month apart) and 1 maintenance treatment annually thereafter.  The consecutive treatment builds upon one another and ultimately tightens internal vaginal mucosa and external genitalia for up to one year.

Great improvement in external and internal tissue tightness, vaginal moisture and even mild urinary incontinence can be seen after just one treatment, with most durable results after 3 recommended treatments. 

My Best suggestion is to seek a consultation with a reputable provider and discuss your unique case so that recommendations can be made and expectations can be set. 

ThermiVa and Bartholin's Cysts

Thank you for asking this important and relevant question.   There is a difference between a Bartholin’s cyst and a Bartholin’s abscess, which is the infected version of the former.  I would absolutely not advise getting a ThermiVa treatment if you have an abscess or an enlarging cyst.  If you have a cyst that is has been stable over a long period of time and does not bother you, then in general this would not be a contra-indication.  Otherwise I would have the cyst taken care of or wait for it to resolve before having a treatment.  Either way, your physician should examine you to confirm a Bartholin’s cyst is what you have and treat you as needed prior to considering ThermiVa.

Although I am sure it would be fine, I would recommend my patient to wait until the bartholin cyst or abscess  resolves.I don't think you would be able to withstand the heat needed to under ThermiVa with an infection to the area.

ThermiVa

If your Bartholins cyst is not active, you should be able to proceed with ThermiVa treatment.  Be sure to discuss all concerns with your provider prior to treatment.  If there is active infection present, the treatment should not be done.

Camille Cash, MD