What type of chemical peel would best work for a dark-skinned African-American with a complexion similar to this? (Photo)

I am wondering which type of peel would be best for me as a dark-skinned woman. The goal is to have smaller pores, lighten blemishes and cleaner, clearer more even-toned skin.

Chemical peel

Thank you for your question. I would likely steer you away from the stronger chemical peels given your skin pigmentation. The most dreaded complication could be splotchy areas of decreased (hypo) pigmentation, which may not reverse itself. You could try a mild glycolic acid peel in an inconspicuous location to be sure you tolerate it first. You might investigate the SkinPen technology. We've had nice results in patients with darker pigmentation with much less risk of problems. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel

Thank you for your question. I suggest you next consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine which type of chemical peel is best for your skin.In general, African-American skin is resistant to fine wrinkles, allowing for a more direct use of chemical peel to target the blemishes you are experiencing.  Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon