Is it better to have a Tummy Tuck first before Lipo/bbl or vice versa? I didn't want to have all procedures at once.

LIPO/BBL first then TT

I would recommend the liposuction and BBL first to achieve better contouring and assess your skin laxity. 

At the time of your TT you may even be able to supercharge your BBL with fat removed from the TT area. 

Is it better to have a TT first or a lipo/bbl?

Far more important than deciding if TT is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

In most cases, lipo and BBL are done first (if not done at the same time as the TT) and a TT later, after everything has healed. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

S it better to have a Tummy Tuck first before Lipo/bbl or vice versa? I didn't want to have all procedures at once.

I think your preference for separating the procedures into two anesthesias is intelligent and well-founded.  Tummy tucks have a higher risk of deep vein thrombosis and other complications when associated with additional multihour procedures and the recovery is more difficult when trying to keep pressure off of your buttocks as well as attempting to keep your abdomen flexed.  My preference and strong recommendation would be that you undergo the fat harvest (liposuction) and Brazilian butt lift first and then return for the tummy tuck.  The results of both procedures would probably be better if done in that order.  Others may feel differently but that would be my advice. I wish you the best of luck and happy surgical outcome,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Have the BBL first

You may want to use some of the fat in your lower abdomen for the BBL. If you have the tummy tuck first, that fat is unavailable as a graft. Have the BBL and don't be upset if the skin of your abdomen hangs until you have the tummy tuck. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and BBL before Tummy Tuck

Unless you have large amounts of subcutaneous fat in your thighs, I would recommend the liposuction and BBL first to obtain the most fat possible to place in the the buttocks.  If you have quite a bit of fat in your hips and thighs, you could combine the tummy tuck with the BBL, to save you from having two operations.  Now, you are talking about one recovery time instead of two.  Please see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs body contouring procedures frequently to assure yourself of the best possible result.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your desire to pursue surgery.  I would recommend performing the liposuction and BBL first as this will ensure appropriate harvest of fat and will limit your recovery time.  After 6 months you can have your tummy tuck performed in a second stage.  Hope this helps. 

It is always recommended to have a liposuction with transfer to your buttocks first as this guarantees more fat to be transferred than when it is combined with another procedure . As a surgeon is only allowed to take only about 1000cc of fat in a combo procedure instead of 4000cc in a single procedure, 6 months after will be a perfect time to have a tummy tuck.

A Brazilian butt lift is a safe and effective procedure that combines liposuction of the abdomen hips waist and back and then fat grafting to the gluteal region. This is a safe and effective way to contour the lower body. After a successful Brazilian Butt lift, the fat that remains will stay there for the rest of your life. Like the rest of the tissue in your body this fat will grow and age with you.

tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Staging tummy tuck and BBL

Thank you for asking about your tummu tuck and BBL.

Generally the liposuction and BBL are done first. Then the tummy tuck. This way as  much fat can be harvested as you need for the BBL. The tummy tuck can be done between 3 and six months later.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Staging procedures

I suggest having liposuction of the entire abdomen,upper back, lower back, and flanks. Depending upon your BMI and the available amount of fat to be harvested, sometimes liposuction of the thighs and knees may have to be performed to give the optimal result. This fat can then be used to contour the buttock and add volume to it. After this procedure, I suggest the tummy tuck after 8 weeks to allow for the best chance of fat survival.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon