Are tummy and mini-tummy tuck procedures improving due to demand?

With a whopping 1/3 of American women undergoing C-sections, I would think there's growing demand for tummy tucks and especially mini TTs. A rapidly growing area of the field? How quickly are TT improving? Still look like costly, painful, long, drawn-out major surgeries. Will there be a quicker and easier fix for women who are in ideal shape other than their disfigurement due to a C-section? Tell me where were are headed as far as new advances, what we can expect.

C-sections not related to tummy tucks

Tummy tucks are done for lax skin with stretch marks, localized fat that does not change with diet & exercise, and/or muscle separation (diastasis), which is not correctable without surgery. All of these changes occur as a result of pregnancy, and are not related to C-sections. It is true that tummy tuck techniques are improving. Newer techniques include progressive tension sutures and Exparel for significant reduction in surgical pain. If the C-section scar is the only problem, then a simple scar revision would be the procedure of choice.

Are tummy tucks improving?

Tummy tucks needs significant recovery because it involves the torso and all movements are relying on that area. C-section scars can definitely cause deformity and combined with the loose skin from pregnancy creates the typical scenario for patients who seek a tummy tuck. With limiting use of drains recently or for less amount of time and use of some long term local anaesthetics the postop experience has improved. It is still a substantial procedure and it is best to discuss all your concerns and expectations with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Thank you for the insightful question. Yes, tummy tuck operations are still extensive operations associated with major physical, and often emotional, recovery periods.  However, I think that aesthetic outcomes are improving and complication rates are decreasing as certain technical aspects of the procedure improve.

Ultimately, nothing will replace careful selection of plastic surgeon,  careful communication of goals, and careful preparation for a  significant recovery period.

Are tummy tucks improving?

Excellent question! I agree that c-sections have contributed to the need for more tummy tucks than when I began to practice over 30 years ago.  You are also correct that surgery is best in women who are thin but otherwise have stretching of the abdominal skin and musculature.  In terms of technique, we have embraced patient centric surgery with variations as appropriate. Finally, there is no substitute for surgical experience.  I learn from every surgery I perform.

Thanks for your question. Tummy tucks are requested by women to tighten the loose and damaged skin that results from pregnancy, having a C-Section has nothing to do with the need for a TT. The vast majority of TT patients have never had a C-Section. If your abdominal skin is OK and you just don't like your C-Section scar , a simple scar revision under local and back to life the in a couple of days is all that is required. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Improved Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question.  I think Tummy Tucks have improved in Several ways.  

1.  Many Surgeons have stopped using drains - Full and Mini-Tummy tucks can be done without a drain using new quilting suture techniques.  Patients have a much better experience.  Easier on their care-givers too.

2.  There are great new techniques for pain control - I use Exparel, a long lasting numbing medicine to decrease the need for strong narcotic pain pills and all their side effects.

3.  Surgeons have learned how to better contour the rest of the body with liposuction to get a better overall shape.  

All of these improvements have been a great way to shorten recovery, increase safety, and get a better result.  

Happy Holidays and best of luck on your research.

Dr. Schwartz

Michael R. Schwartz, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD