What are the best treatment options for loose skin on jawline? (Photos)

I'm 45 and I'm starting to develop an aging jawline. Im ready to have it tightened up, without looking unnatural or radically changing the look of my face. Are there any recommended techniques used where the superficial skin is merely pulled upward and trimmed it off? Or do all "mini-lifts" require a more invasive surgery and weeks of downtime. The later seems excessive for my situation and better suited for people in more extreme situations. I would love to deal with this soon Thank you !!!

Neck Lift Options

Based on the single photograph you sent, I wouldn't recommend any treatment at all.  I know that everybody wants minimally invasive procedures, but I am NOT a believer in most of the gadgets that are available out there. I doubt that Ultherapy, Thermage, or any of the others will truly improve your situation and yet I couldn't tell you that surgery is appropriate for you either because the skin is simply not so bad at this stage.

Good Luck!

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. You are an ideal candidate for the Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift. The surgery is effectively a mini-lift because it avoids the extensive incisions made around the hairline and ears and instead, harnesses three advanced techniques - liposculpture, neck lifting and laser resurfacing. The result is a more youthful look to the neck and jawline with a recovery time that lasts only a few days. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early facelift?

Typically, relatively younger patients such as yourself do very well with a minimally invasive face and necklift.  You will likely do well with minimal downtime but may require some volume as well.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm 45 and I'm starting to develop an aging jawline.

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), jowls are present and the chin is weak.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Loose jawline skin

The treatment that would be permanent is a face lift, but you seem to not need that yet.  You can always try ReSurfix, a non ablative laser treatment or Ultherapy, a non surgical skin tightening treatment.  My recommendation would be to wait until your aging is more prominent.  I know that is not what you want to hear and I understand you want to do something now, but your skin is really not bad.  Best of luck.

Options for Facial Rejuvenation Include Both Surgical and Non-surgical Approaches

Hello and thank-you for your question and photo.

We are fortunate to have many options at our disposal to provide improvement in the quality of your skin and ease fine line and creases.  The choice of which path to take depends on several factors, including your goals and expectations. Ultherapy is great option to provide and "uplift" without  the recovery of surgery for individuals with mild to moderate laxity. You can also consider a profractional laser such as ResurFX and IPL fotofacial to refresh your skin. 

If you goal is elimination of the jowl and a defined jawline and chin, then you should consider a surgical option. For face and neck lifts, I recommend a dual layer approach with correction of the muscle layer for natural, long-lasting results. This approach is different from the "mini-face lift"  or branded variations of the mini-lift (Lifestyle Lift, Swift Lift), which are skin only lifts. I would recommend and in person consultation with a plastic surgeon who is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is well versed in facial rejuvenation.  I hope that this helps. Best of luck.

Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Technique options for treating loose skin jawline in patients age 45-54 with less downtime.

Great question. The best answer for your exact situation will depend on what you reveal to be your goals and only after an examination of your facial skin and soft tissues. I ask new patients to bring in photos of themselves during their lives by decade if possible so that I can best understand their exact aging process. Typically, we all age at every level (skin gets lax, subcutaneous fat disappears, facial muscles become loose, bone resorbs), but the key is to understand your individual aging process. Your genetics and daily habits will have played a role. During my first consultation with patients, we will review if there are things you can add to your daily regimen like nutritional changes, exercise changes,  possibly addition of supplements and implementation of  daily medical skin care and possibly laser treatments. Most patients by age 45 have skin damage from the sun or smog or wind. We can discuss ways to reverse those changes and set up a maintenance plan for skin health. If your laxity is minimal to moderate I will suggest an Ultherapy face and neck treatment as part of your treatment and maintenance plan. If surgery is indicated, that is, if I feel surgery will have benefits that outweigh the risks, money and downtime, then I will present and we will discuss exactly what would best treat your exact situation and meet your goals. I will stress then and as you get older, that aging is constant and ongoing, therefore, it will be important to establish a short, medium and long term strategic plan to combat your specific aging process. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Mini lift

Based on your concerns, it looks like a mini lift might be the best treatment for you. It's best to seek consultation with a certified and experienced surgeon.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin/Neck Laxity/Jawline Contouring -- Kybella, VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermage/Ultherapy, Fillers like Radiesse/Sculptra

Sagging loose skin on the neck needs a face/neck lifting.  Non invasive options like vaser/thermiRF combination, thermage/ultherapy, kybella and fillers can help.  Please see an expert for evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Loose jawlines/necks do so well with a little lift under local.

A lower face/neck lift under local with a little iv sedation would make such a great improvement and be easy to undergo. Now is the time to get started looking great.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon