When is the best time of year to get breast implants? I have a growing baby and don't know when to get my surgery.

I have a 2 month old baby and am not breastfeeding. I want to get breast implants now while my baby is lightweight but I have to get into shape first, which I just started to workout and don't know how much time it will take to get back into shape. I'm hoping I'll be ready this spring/summer, but if I get implants then, I won't be able to cover up my healing process. If I wait until fall or next winter, my baby will be 1 and way more active/heavy -- does that matter? I'm anxious to get nice breasts!

When to have a breast augmentation

Lot's of patients like to have cosmetic surgery done in the winter because they can hide the bruising and incisions under big baggy clothing. Itis also never a good idea to rush into having a cosmetic surgery procedure done. 

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Timing of BA

Hello, when you have young children it can be hard to find the ideal time to get breast implants! Many of my patients are in this situation and I think the answer is to make sure you have help during the acute healing stage, especially for the first several days.

William Andrade, MD

Timing of Breast Implants After Having a Child

To know your true post-pregnancy breast size, it’s best to wait at least six months from the time you gave birth. That means, you could have your breast augmentation by May 20 and still enjoy most of the summer. I tell my patients that they can go to the beach and swim with sunblock 15 or higher three weeks after surgery. By around July 20 (8 weeks after surgery), you might look like you're wearing a push-up bra without the bra, and most women don't mind that. I also tell my patients that eight weeks is also when they can start to consider doing more major bra and bathing suit shopping. 

Whether their baby is 6 months old or a year old, I advise my patients that if they needed to, they could lift their baby on the third day after surgery to transfer them from high chair, carseat or crib, but they won't be able to carry them all day until the end of the second week. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Wait until your breasts have come back to normal after your pregnancy, then see an experienced Board Certified plastic surgeon for a full consultation. The timing depends on what works best for you. 

See link below for examples.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

The best time of year to get breast implants.

We like the winter and early spring for breast augmentation. This of course gives you the best time of year to be out and looking your best. If you are young and fit recovery should be no challenge for you.

The best time for breast augmentation

You have several issues in determining the best time to have breast augmentation.  The best time is when you are ready physically where you are at the weight you desire.  I don't think having to care for young children is a major factor.  You might need help with children for a few days.  Children who can walk don't need to be lifted and can crawl onto your lap in the seated position.  Those that can't walk should be light enough to lift and carry as needed in a few days following surgery.

All my best.

Robert N. Severinac, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

This is a common question.There is no specific time of the year that is preferable from a medical standpoint. After surgery you should be up and about as quickly as possible. a small child is a virtual guarantee that you will be up and about quickly. Those little guys are the best personal trainers in the world!

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Proceeding with breast augmentation surgery any time of the year would be just fine; in your case, given that you are not breast-feeding, I would suggest that you achieve your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding. Make sure that you have enough help at home, for a few days, when scheduling your surgery.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure,  I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
 You may find the attached link helpful as you learn more. Best wishes.

Anytime

Anytime that you have the time is the best time.  The busiest time for breast surgery usually starts in late winter in my part of the country but breast augmentation is performed year round.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Breast Implants after Pregnancy

As a general guideline you should wait six months after delivering before having breast augmentation surgery. You want your breast to completely recover from pregnancy and assume their eventual post pregnancy shape.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD