I am a 40 year old mom (2 kids) with a lowered bladder. To use Thermiva or not?

I have a lowered bladder from child birth which really bothers me-because of the presssure "down there" when I am on my feet for a considerable amount of time....I am considering thermiva....will it help the bladder start to go back to its original place?

ThermiVa and bladder proplase

Great question, Cameron12! My colleagues are correct - you'd be best advised by doing a physical exam with a gynecologic surgeon, especially if they offer both surgery and ThermiVa as options. 

ThermiVa is impressive technology FDA approved for vaginal tightening. Some patients notice increased stimulation, moisture and sensitivity as well as the vaginal tightening benefits. ThermiVa will not move the bladder to a different location, so chances are you'll need surgery to address prolapse. However, depending on your physical exam, your symptoms might be mitigated with the use of ThermiVa application.

Probably, but see a GYN first

If you suffer from significant vaginal prolapse, aka, "a lowered bladder," (other symptoms and problems may include: urinary incontinence, rectal incontinence, recto-vaginal prolapse, uterine prolapse, loss of sensation, sexual dysfunction, lack of moisture, recurrent bladder infections, and more) you should have a thorough evaluation by a gynecologist, preferably one who specializes in pelvic reconstructive and urinary incontinence surgery or at least one who has a lot of experience in this sub-specialty within the realm of Ob-Gyn.  Many of these may best be treated with standard gynecological surgery.  ThermiVa is a great technology, which has been shown to improve mild-moderate prolapse and incontinence, as well as enhance overall function of the vaginal mucosa: improved blood flow, nerve sensation, and moisture production.  It is non-surgical, therefore carries none of the risks associated with pelvic surgery.  If symptoms and physical exam findings are only in the mild to moderate range, then ThermiVa might be a good option for you.

ThermiVa

I always highly recommend getting examined by your OB-Gyn prior to having any vaginal procedures.  This will help clear up any uncertainties.  

Grant Stevens, MD

You need to be examined by a surgeon expert pelvic prolapse to determine what going on down there

Anybody with an MD can buy a machine, regurgitate the sales pitch that came with it, and tell you to try it and see. That's a backwards approach to fixing anything in any discipline and certainly not the mark of expertise. I would recommend that you schedule an appointment with a gynecologist or urogynecologist with expertise in the evaluation and management of a lowered bladder. Most moms with vaginal deliveries and a sagging bladder that sags enough that they're symptomatic also have additional major damage to the vaginal supports that will only improve with surgery. These little machines have their place, but only an expert can tell if you're wasting your time and money. Nonsurgery is nice, but only if it has a realistic chance of doing anything.

ThermiVa and dropped bladder

ThermiVa tightens the vaginal tissues improving symptoms like vaginal laxity, dryness, orgasmic dysfunction and mild stress incontinence. However it will not help to move the bladder back to it's original place. Surgery or placement of a pessary can help with that. Make sure you see a provider who specializes in pelvic organ prolapse. Good luck.

Renata Wix-Harris, MD
Livingston Physician

Thermiva for stress incontinence

Thermiva is a great noninvasive way to improve bladder symptoms from childbirth. It won't move the bladder but tightens the tissue around the urethra so there is less leakage. Surgery is the only way to suspend the bladder, but that has it associated risks and downtime. Thermiva has no downtime and minimal risks.

Steven F. Weiner, MD