Nurse practitioner says adding more Juvederm through the tear trough could cause blindness?

I had Juvederm in my tear trough one time by a PS and I liked the results and ever since then I go to a nurse practitioner and they always say they can't do that. So I feel like I would like to do it again but they claim it could cause blindness is this true?

Thanks for your query. Yes, blindness is a known side effect for filler in the tear trough area but it is highly unlikely that you get it done from an experienced doctor. There is always a risk or side effect from any procedure which you do and can get it done from any qualified doctor. Hope it helps.

All The Best

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

All The Best

Filler for Tear Troughs

If they don't do the tear trough area than it is likely because of their lack of experience treating this area.  it is best to see a board certified plastic surgeon/derm for this area for optimal outcomes.

Filler for Tear Troughs

Fillers and blindness

Anytime fillers are being applied caution needs to be taken to not enter a blood vessel and inject filler.  Doing so could result in tissue death or blindness.  However, the risks of blindness is fairly low.  I uses a cannula to minimize the risk.  Please follow up with an experienced provider.

Fillers and blindness

Blindness

Blindness is a rare occurrence and in the hands of a skilled injector, tear trough injections are very safe.

Blindness

Tear tough filler

Tear trough filler can be performed safely. There is a very small risk of blindness more-so from filler done in the glabella (aka "11 lines) between the eyebrows.  I do tear trough injections with a cannula to minimize the risk of bruising and increase the safety of the injections. 

I hope this helps!

Dr. Quenby Erickson

Tear tough filler

I hope this helps!

Dr. Quenby Erickson

Injections to tear trough

Any filler injection around the eye can cause blindness but it's very rare. If you go to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that uses a blunt cannula for their injections, your already low risk of blindness will be even lower since the risk of puncturing a blood vessel with a  blunt needle is closer to zero. Best of luck - you simply need a doctor with more experience than who you're going to now.

Injections to tear trough

Nurse practitioner says adding more Juvederm through the tear trough could cause blindness

The risk is small and when done by an experienced physician, is done all of the time with very very small risks of blindness

Tear Trough Filling & Blindness

Dear sizzorgirl67:

Filler injections to certain areas of the face carry a a very small risk of blindness.  This rare occurrence can be minimized by see an expert injector.  My personal tear trough filler in Canada is Teosyal Redensity II.  All the best.

Tear Trough Filling & Blindness

Dear sizzorgirl67:

Juvederm risks

The injection of any filler anywhere carries certain risks.  One of these risks is the injection of the filler into a blood vessel that would block the flow of blood to the tissues, resulting in tissue death.  There is a very small risk, that when injecting around the eye, the filler can be injected into a blood vessel that could result in blindness.  Therefore, it is important to go to a board certified cosmetic surgeon with experience in injecting fillers and who has a good knowledge of the anatomy of the face.  Good luck!

Juvederm risks

Juvederm vs Restylane for tear trough and risk for blindness

Restylane is a better filler for the tear troughs because it tends to cause less swelling and puffiness than Juvederm.  There is a remote risk of blindness from filler injection anywhere in the face.  Fortunately, this risk is very rare and can be minimized with good injection technique.  I highly recommend using a cannula rather than a sharp needle to inject the filler in the tear troughs.

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Regards,

Dr. Ort