Does the swelling in tip of the nose go down dramatically by the end of first year after rhinoplasty?

Will I notice a difference in the tip of my nose from the beginning and middle of recovery to the end? Or will it not really be noticeable?

Nasal tip swelling

Nasal tip swelling has 3 Landmark time periods.  The first decrease in swelling happens at 3 weeks after surgery,The second decrease in swelling happens at 3 months after surgery and then finally the last one happens at one year after surgery.  The biggest difference is usually seen at the 3 months interval.  At the end of one year you cannot tell a lot of difference as the change is very slow and gradual.

Regards

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip of the nose swelling. It's a roller coaster ride.

Every rhinoplasty patient will experience some tip swelling. More swelling is seen in patients with thick skin, revision surgery, and rib cartilage grafting. 

There are stages of swelling reduction.
4-6 weeks there is a dramatic decrease 
6-9 months it's a roller coaster ride of slowly going down with small episodes of swelling that come with heat/sun exposure and salt intake.
Starting at 1 year, the nose will start to refine. It will continue to heal and refine even after 1 year, but the changes will be subtle.

I recommend talking to your rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss the unique features of your nose and surgery to help you gauge how long you may potentially be swollen. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question! 

Swelling in the tip of the nose will decrease dramatically within the first year following rhinoplasty. At first the changes in your nose's appearance may be somewhat dramatic. After the first 3-4 months, the changes will occur much more subtly, but once you look back on your photos from throughout that year you will be stunned by how much your nose has really changed.

**Did you know we are *live on Snapchat* every day? We are St Louis' own plastic surgery reality show! Add us (@nosebynayak) to see what goes on behind the scenes. Caution – our daily story is addictive, contains live surgery, and is not for the faint of heart!**

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

Dear hockey23,

Yes, there is usually a significant improvement in tip swelling after the first year of rhinoplasty. I recommend follow up with your rhinoplasty surgeon if you have concerns regarding residual tip swelling. They may also be able to give you more details regarding the surgery and if any contributing factors that may cause prolonged swelling. Best regards, Gina Chu, MD.

Gina Chu, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling

Yes, there will be a gradual significant improvement in the swelling the nasal tip for the first year or so after a rhinoplasty.