When does swelling COMPLETELY go away after breast augmentation?

I am 3 mo. post op from my BA. I had to get 2 hematomas surgically evacuated after so Its been about 2 months since my last surgery. I have had mild tenting in my cleavage when i wear an underwire bra since week 5 post op from my original surgery. When does the last bit of residual swelling go away? And I mean the VERY LAST BIT like the 1-2% last bit of swelling. I know that around 6 months the majority of it goes away. But I am talking about the very very last bit.

Post-operative swelling

Hi, thanks for your question. I typically tell patients that it takes about a year for all post-operative swelling to resolve. This may be a bit longer for you if there were two hematomas that required drainage procedures. By 12-18 months all swelling and inflammation should be resolved.

Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - two hematomas. How long to final healing?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Great question -
  • Swelling after surgery is a genetically determined response so there is considerable variation.
  • However it  can take 18 months (1 1/2 years) for all the swelling to go away -
  • Counting from the time of your last procedure, the 2nd hematoma.
  • So in about 1 year and 3 months from now you should see all swelling gone.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Most surgeons agree that swelling and scars are at their final result at one year post op.  This would be after your very last surgery.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon