Can I get surgery for my years old broken nose or does it have to be pushed back into place?

So my nose has had a slight turn every since I was younger. Obviously it was broken, but being a kid I didn't really care, I just let it heal. Well, because of this I'm having slight breathing problems and my nose is always runny (mucus and blood). I want to get it straighten out but I don't want cosmetic surgery. Can a doctor push into place after years (probably 10+) or do I have to get surgery?

Doctor Answers 5

Corrective nose surgery

Most likely you will need septo-rhinoplasty, which will include correction of external nose deformity to improve cosmetic aspect and nasal airway correction to improve breathing. This usually require formal rhinoplasty with adjustment of nose cartilages and cutting of the nasal bones to correct crocked nose and tip and septoplasty/turbinectomy to improve breathing.Your first step should be a consultation with an experienced nose specialist, board certified plastic or ENT surgeon, for detailed clinical evaluation. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Can I get surgery for my years old broken nose or does it have to be pushed back into place?

You can get surgery to correct your nose. However, the nasal bones can not simply be pushed back into place. Too much time has passed, and they are now healed into the present position. However, this is not a very difficult procedure, and you should do well. Good luck.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Rhinoplasty candidate for a crooked nose

  To straighten the crooked nose requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones in order to straighten the bridge line. When performing straightening of the nasal bones, this is performed under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. It is possible to straighten the nose even if it's than 10 years after the injury. For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews


Unfortunately the injury occurred so long ago that the nose has healed and surgery would be required to improve the breathing and correct the deviation.

Talk to a facial plastic surgeon about an evaluation-- if you have allergies or ongoing sinus infections, medical treatment of this will improve your breathing without surgery.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 58 reviews

Old nasal injury

Given that your fracture occurred 10 or more years ago, it has healed by now. Therefore, it is past the point of being able to manually reduce the fracture back into place.  A surgeon can address your breathing concerns, but this will require surgery.  

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
Austin Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.