Surgery or Lipo? (photos)

Doc, I need to know your honest opinion on my case, my arms are very troublesome, do I need lipo or surgery or a combination of both.

Combination May Be Best

Thanks for including photos. It appears that combining liposuction with brachioplasty (an arm lift) would be the best surgical plan for you. Even with laser liposuction, such as the Smartlipo TriPlex™, the skin tightening results won't be enough to provide the desired results. You have enough excess skin on the upper arms to warrant an arm lift, and I believe combining the 2 procedures will yield very satisfying results.  

Surgery or Lipo?

Thank you for your question and photos. To adequately contour the upper arms, in your case, a combination of liposuction to remove fat and brachioplasty to remove the excess skin.  This combination will address each issue. An incision is made to hide on the inside part of your arm and not be visible when your arms are at your side. Brachioplasty requires patience post operatively. It is very common for the scars to become thicken and take months to a year to thin and fade. Compression helps.

Consult with a  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to discuss all your options.

Arm improvement options

After reviewing your photos, I think the best option would be to have liposuction as well as a brachioplasty. It looks like you have skin laxity as well as some extra adipose deposits in you arm and the best way is to do both. Good luck and discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon that performs these procedures. The recovery isn't bad, but make sure you understand the scar placement involved.  

W. John Bull, MD

When to treat arms with arm lift surgery versus liposuction alone

Great questions, which can best be answered during an in depth consultation to evaluate arm skin elasticity and the extent of your arm tissue excess. During the consultation we will review your goals for your arms and your overall health, There are many things you can do to improve the outcome of liposuction surgery or arm lift surgery. I perform both under local anesthesia. I have been performing laser liposuction since 2011 on arms with amazing results. The best way to find which procedure will be the best for your individual goals is through a consultation. Good luck.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Arm lift, liposuction or both?

Thank you for asking about your arm lift.

Based on your photos, you should get your best result by far with liposuction-assissted brachioplasty ( surgical arm lift.)

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Surgery or liposuction for the arms?

Both. From the photos submitted, it appears that a brachioplasty would be the best option. I perform liposuction on the area, then excise the loose, deflated skin. This technique helps to preserve more nerves and blood vessels.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Surgery or Liposuction of Arms -- you May have Lipedema -- VASER ARM HI DEF Lipo

I suggest only seeing a VASER hi def body contouring expert for this type of treatment.  Circumferential liposuction requires a 4D approach and needs a specialist.   you may have lipedema and this needs to be addressed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Arm lift or just liposuction.

With the skin excess we see in your photo our experience shows that liposuction and skin reduction, or brachioplasty will give you the best result. Good luck,

How to treat large arms

You need a combination of liposuction and surgery. First the arm needs to be "deflated" by suctioning out the fat. Then the skin is removed, leaving behind the blood vessels, nerves, and other important structures. This is all done at the same operation. The trade off is that you will have a scar running down the back of your arm. Of course you will need a general medical evaluation first to make sure you are an acceptable candidate for surgery and general anesthesia.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Surgery or Lipo?

Thanks for your question and pictures.  It does appear that liposuction alone would not be your best option.  A combination of liposuction along with a brachioplasty would likely give you the best result.  Meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Naveen Setty, MD