Surgery Friday 12/2. Chose 445cc and 400/425cc. Wanted a D after surgery. Will my implants be too big for me? (photo)

I'm having BA with mastopexy this Friday, Dec 2nd. We decided on going with a 445cc in one breast and either a 400 or 425cc in the other. After looking at pictures and reading reviews it looks like most women with this size are a DD to E. My goal was to be near a 34D. Did I pick too big a size? I'm having second thoughts. I'm currently a 34B in one breast, 34A in the other. I'm 5'7" 133 pounds.

Surgery Friday 12/2. Chose 445cc and 400/425cc. Wanted a D after surgery. Will my implants be too big for me?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Choosing implants

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck!  

Dean Vistnes, M.D.

Vistnes Plastic Surgery San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size hard to choose

The hardest decision to make with breast enhancement surgery is the size of the implants.  I think your decision is fine, good luck and enjoy your new figure!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Will my implants be too big for me?

Perhaps you should let your surgeon choose the breast implants which will allow you to reach your goal. Use trial bras, photos and a clear discussion of what you wish to look like, and choose your surgeon with care.

What's too big.

The question of implant size is hard to answer via online but generally speaking I would not assume the sizes are too big.  From the photo you appear to have enough skin envelope and size to accomodate the implants.  You could even go larger I'd imagine.  It all depends on your measurements and goals for final size.  Remember your final cup size is the volume of implant plus your own breast volume and shape.  I think you are going to be happy with the implants from your description.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and Best Wishes!!!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

I want a D cup breast after augmentation. Will my implants be too big?

Thank you for your question.  Looking at your photo, I agree that you will likely need two different sized implants, as your left breast does appear very slightly larger than the right.  I also agree that you will likely need a small breast lift along with your implants.  The implant sizes that you mention will definitely get you into the D cup range.  I think most of my colleagues will agree that we Plastic Surgeons cannot tell you the EXACT number and letter of your new bra size.  That is something that you will need to determine after surgery and after swelling has gone done when you get fitted for a new bra.  However, we CAN give you a pretty good idea of what cup size a certain implant will likely produce.  With your listed implants, in some bras you might be a D cup.  In some bras you might be a DD cup.  E might be a bit extreme.  I tell my patients not to worry about the size of the bra -- worry about whether or not you are happy when you look in the mirror, wear a tight shirt,  or wear a bathing suit after surgery.

When I plan a breast augmentation with a patient, I use a sizing system, which is basically breast-shaped implants of increasing sizes that can be slipped into your bra over your breast.  We then look in the mirror with a tight fitting shirt on, and the patient always has a "too small," a "too big," and an "A-HA!" moment when we have chosen the right size.  I have found this system to be extremely helpful when deciding on the best-sized implant along with taking breast measurements.  I will then be sure to have a range of implants with me in the operating room, typically one larger and one smaller than the size decided on during the office visit.  

It all boils down to this: you need to be comfortable with your decision.  Surgery is in 2 days.  If you are having second thoughts about your implant size, then you need to call your surgeon and go see him/her one more time before surgery.  Any good board certified Plastic Surgeon will be happy to sit down with you again to go over things prior to surgery.  Don't proceed with a procedure unless you are 100% confident with your surgeon, your implant size, and your desire to have the procedure.  It can be a very expensive mistake if you do so.  Best of luck!

Breast augmentation

The size of the implant is not directly related to the letter size of the bra. Unfortunately there are many varied was that go into both. If you had a chance to try on the implants and you had a good discussion with your surgeon then I think you chose wisely and I wouldn't worry about it. I am  curious as to the type of lift you were having done. It is hard to tell from the pictures but with the size of implant you're picking it doesn't look like you would need much if any lift at all.

Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implants for ME?

Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging)  as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

***Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.  It will be important for many reasons, that you feel comfortable that you and your plastic surgeon are on the "same page" prior to proceeding.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

From your photos, you appear to also be a candidate for a breast lift.  A breast lift will reposition your nipples and reshape your breasts, giving them a more youthful appearance.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon