Skin type 5, did diamond blade dermabrasion 10 years ago with great results on whole face. Contemplating to do it again or not!

I am a 35 yrs old male with skin type 5, thinking to do old diamond based dermabrasion on whole face again to get rid of PIH, acne and acne scars. I used to apply retin a .025 and 4% HQ and my skin was flawless for last 8 years or so but I now I am getting cystic acne again so thinking of getting this procedure done. I have stopped 4% HQ based on my doctor's advice. I now use 20% azelaic acid cream and .05 % retin a. Question is what may be potential side effects of redoing this procedure.

Dermabrasion

Thank you for your question. If you had great results with dermabrasion before, then dermabrasion with the same surgeon would be a good option for you. Dermabrasion and chemical peel do not reduce the amount of existing acne or stop its formation, but instead improve acne scarring. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon about dermabrasion and acne treatments. You should consider prescription medicine as well as your current topical regimen.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your query.Dermabrasion is contraindicated in cystic acne as it can worsen the situation. Skin type generally doesn’t matter much when it comes to dermabrasion. You should first get rid of acne and then consider dermabrasion. Hope it helps.All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon