Is a significant amount of swelling normal 3 months after having a Mommy Makeover? (Photo)

I had mymommy makeover on 1/27/15 and I was completely happy with my results up until one month ago. My stomach was flat and my body had a nice contour, but that all changed about 4 weeks ago. My entire abdomen is very swollen, I have even been asked if I'm expecting again... I haven't gained any weight, infact, I am working out 5 days a week and walking 4 miles a day but my stomach looks horrible. These pictures really do not show the amount of swelling I have going on but can plz get some advise

Swelling 3 Months After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #asymmetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

What you’re describing sounds like late swelling.

Swelling is normal after surgery, but sudden, unexpected swelling may be cause for concern. As your mommy makeover was performed about 3 months ago, most of your post-operative swelling should have subsided by now. While your final results won’t be visible just yet, increased swelling after 2 months is not typical for most patients. Abdominal swelling could be caused by water retention, dietary changes or other issues. This would be a good question to consult with your surgeon about, as he or she will be able to examine you in person and decide whether a more thorough evaluation is appropriate.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after surgery

Swelling is very common after mommy makeovers and can last 8-10 months.  Make sure your plastic surgeon is aware to see if a fluid collection is occurring.

Swelling after mommy make-over

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over

• Late swelling can be so frustrating -
  • You appear to have a very good surgical result.
  • Many things can cause late swelling - absorbing sutures is one of them.
  • I suggest you have your surgeon check you and see if together, you can figure out the cause.
  • If the cause is absorbing sutures, it will improve in time. .

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Swelling 3 mos after mommy makeover

Its not unusual to have swelling this far out after surgery.  Although the majority of the swellling has subsided at this point, you are still continuing to heal and will continue to do so up to 12mos.  
Vigorous exercise can certainly make you swell as can eating a high salt diet as this makes you retain water.    It appears that you have good results.  Continue your healthy living.  Best wishes.

Michael J. Yoo, MD
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Good results so far after mommy makeover.

There is still some changes expected due to swelling but based on the preoperative pictures it looks as though you have a fine result. Continue to be patient and persistent your exercise routine.

Happy after mommy makeover until...

Your after picture do look very good, so what happened after three months. Is working out five days a week getting you into trouble? It sounds like too much too soon, so rest, use support, and see your surgeon to check things out.