I'm scared of implants. I'm very small framed. I'm 138 pounds and I'm 5'3. What should I do to get the body I desire? (Photo)

Do implants feel like a bowl on your butt? How much are these two surgeries,( fat transfer and I'm plants)? Me being 138 pounds soaking wet and 5'3, how much weight will I have to gain?

BBL works and lasts

Fat grafting works.  Approximately 70% of the fat moved survives and is permanent as long as you maintain your body fat percentage.  For people who have enough fat stores, which it appears you may have, I prefer to use only fat grafting.   For those who do not have enough fat I use a combination of a silicone implant in the muscle along with fat grafting in the same setting.   When the implants are placed inside the muscle they feel like a fit gluteus muscle. I do not suggest you gain any weight for the procedure. The only way to know if you are a candidate for either procedure is to see a plastic surgeon who specializes in buttocks augmentation.   I hope this helps and best wishes. 

Scared of Implants

I think if you had a consultation you would find that you have enough fat in other areas of your body to be harvested and transferred to the buttocks. I would recommend fat transfer as the first procedure of choice. Reserve the implants as a last resort.  Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Brazilian butt lift vs. buttock implants

If you have enough donor site (i.e., fatty area), Brazilian butt lift or BBL is generally a good option.  Butt implants, meanwhile, are best reserved for naturally thin patients and those who want larger augmentation.  Contrary to popular belief, implants can still provide the natural look and feel in the hands of a good plastic surgeon. 

Should you choose BBL, based on your photos you have viable donor sites so there is no need to gain weight. 

Just make sure that you go to a board-certified plastic surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery certified) who can perform physical exam and consultation to determine the right course of action. 

For photo reference, you may want to visit the link below showing our BBL patients' before-and-after photos. 

Good luck and best wishes. 

BBL or implants

I offer both buttock implants and Brazilian butt lifts to patients. If you have enough fat donor sites, then I would pursue that as a first option for most patients.

Butt augmentation with fat or implants

We offer both in our practice and both are very good. I have to disagree with past answers in terms of fat taking. Fat transfer is great and as long as they have fat to harvest patients should retain at least 85% of what was placed. This procedure and the results are completely dependent on the experience of physician. The best results from fat transfer always require agressive liposuction to the flanks and back to aid in shaping the buttock. Now there are times patients do not have enough fat and implants along with what fat they do have end up being the best option. You should make sure whichever doctor you choose does at least a few of these a week otherwise you may get less of a result then you are looking for.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Buttock enhancement options

Regarding buttock augmentation, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12 months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock implants).
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are options but what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.
Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like liquid silicone, PMMA, and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflammation and a subsequent disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 1 1/2 inch long incision along the inner curve of each upper buttock cheek at the level of the tailbone, similar to two opposing parentheses ")(" (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure (in fact both implants and fat transfer so that s/he is not bias). And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to <2% (much lower than and contrary to popular belief by many other surgeons not experienced in buttock implants).
Depending upon the amount of your current fat reserves and their distribution, you may or may not be a reasonable candidate for fat transfer. If you are wanting to utilize the fat to further augment your buttock in addition to implants, then I caution you against this. The reason being that the fat needs to be placed into the buttock muscles for optimal survival, however, this is exactly where the implant needs to reside and thus risks infection and/or death of the fat. Because of this risk, I frequently avoid fat grafting into a buttock that has an implant. Bottom line, I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon specialist in buttock augmentation (BOTH implants and fat transfer) to determine what option is best for you. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD