Is it safe to have multiple procedures? (photo)

I'd like to have a tummy tuck Lipo/bbl and a breast reduction, problem is I'd like it done at once, and I'm thinking of doing it in THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, I'm unsure to the risk, but I've been told by the doctor's there that it CAN be done and some say NOT at once I really would like to know I suffer from extreme back neck and shoulder pains, I had a baby via cesarean and I'd like to get that fat pouch hidden, PLEASE HELP

Multiple Procedures Out of the Country

Thank you very much for your question and photograph. Yes, multiple techniques can be performed at the same time. However, this will depend on your operating surgeon’s protocol, your unique medical history, and the extent of correction desired. Having a plastic surgery procedure outside of the United States carries a significantly higher chance for complications to occur. I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in the U.S., who can then determine if you are a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover and Brazilian Butt Lift. He/she will explain what combination of techniques can safely be performed during the same surgical procedure. All of your payment options, including healthcare financing, can be discussed at your consultation appointment. While the procedures may be cheaper in the Dominican Republic, it is not worth the risks.

Mommy Makeover - Multiple Procedures At Same Time?

Thank you for your question and photo. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck and breast lift surgery. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall.   I do not think it is a good idea to have a tummy tuck and BBL at the same time. I believe you will have better results if you stage the procedures. First do liposuction to harvest fat from the hips, flanks, thighs, and abdomen. This fat can be used for the BBL. Once you have recovered from Stage 1, a tummy tuck can be performed.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your picture and question,I believe you can safely have these procedures done at the same time as long as you are healthy enough, please consult with a board certified PS. Best of luck!

Is it safe to have multiple procedures?

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions and pictures. 

Multiple procedures are very common in my office and within the more common this realization of Tummy Tuck, Lipo and breast reduction, this will depend on your state of health generally.
This which is why the recommended would be an assessment in person with your doctor and starting from there decide the procedures that would be made.

Hope hear from you soon, besy wishes!!

Ramon Morales, MD

Multiple procedure safety

The interest and demand for the performance of multiple surgical procedures at the same time has steadily risen over the last several years.  This increase is due to greater demand for the Mommy Make Over and also the increasing number of patients who successfully lose a great deal of weight either through diet and exercise or weight loss surgery.  The weight loss patients often have several areas of residual loose skin requiring different procedures to provide recontouring.
There are many important benefits of performing combination surgery.  When multiple procedures are performed at the same time the patient has one recovery time, one anesthesia and it is less expensive than when the procedures are performed separately.  These benefits however can only be achieved if the procedures are performed with safety as the primary consideration.
  Multiple surgical procedures can safely be performed at the same time providing; it is  done by an experienced, properly trained plastic surgeon with a team who routinely and efficiently performs combination procedures,  the patient is properly selected for the procedures  and proper safety guidelines are closely adhered to.
One of the most important factors in performing several procedures at the same time is the length of surgery.  Although there is no universally agreed upon time limit most surgeons would probably agree that the limit falls between 4-6 hours.  Many surgeons use 5 hours as a limit. Complication rates begin to rise as the length of surgery exceeds this time frame.  In order to safely and effectively perform several procedures within this timeframe it is very important that the surgeon and his or her team are highly trained and routinely perform these combinations in an efficient manner.
 A very important member of the team is the anesthesiologist.  An anesthesiologist who routinely performs with the team understands the various details important to an ideal outcome and ideal postoperative recovery.
In order to properly select patients for lengthy surgical procedure such as this many factors need to be taken into consideration.  Some these include the patient's BMI, any history of pulmonary problems, a history of sleep apnea, and the presence of diabetes or heart problems.  Every patient should undergo a risk assessment for the development of a DVT (blood clot) and/or pulmonary embolism.  If a significant risk is identified appropriate steps must be taken to satisfactorily reduce the risk.
When preparing a patient for a combination procedure it is very important to properly educate them on what to expect during the recovery and the homecare they will need.
 Many patients comment that the results of these combinations are truly life-changing.  Fortunately today, these life-changing combination procedures can be safely performed as long as it is done by highly trained and efficient surgical teams on properly selected patient's with safety as the primary consideration.
I personally would not recommend undergoing extensive surgery such as this without the ability to have close follow-up with your surgeon.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Safety of multiple procedures

It is very common to do multiple procedures at one time; however, doing a tummy tuck, liposuction, Brazilian butt lift, and a breast reduction together is a lot of surgery, and your risk of complications is much higher. I realize that time and money are always a factor, but your safety is of the utmost importance. That being said, I would not advise you do all of those procedures at the same time, and I definitely do not recommend going out of the country to do them. Please heed the advice of the board-certified plastic surgeons on this site about the increased risks. It is just not worth the potential dangers.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Multiple procedures - is it safe?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction, BBL, tummy tuck and breast reduction.

• Given the extent of surgery you need, you are at a higher risk of complications if you have all of these done at one time, unless you have two plastic surgeons working on you simultaneously.
  • that is not always possible to arrange and quite expensive.
  • Go to the DR at your own risk - I personally would not go to a country to have surgery where I don't know the surgeon, don't know the language, can't return for follow-up and get care for complications, know it is has facilities of much poorer quality than the USA and for which there is a USA government advisory recommending against medical tourism because of patients returning with untreatable severe infections.
  • The DR only recently removed the license of a surgeon doing cosmetic surgery - after multiple unreported deaths at his clinic.
  • If you go, you had better arrange a plastic surgeon at home to care for you on your return and expect to pay a significant amount for those services because care of complications is much more difficult and time-consuming than doing good surgery in the first place.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Mommy Makeover consist of Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation or Breast Lift or a Breast Reduction.   For a BBL you must wait 6 month to have the procedure. 

tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.  

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Mommy Makeover and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Is a Mommy Makeover Procedure Safe

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

#Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. . Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Is it safe to have multiple procedures?

Yes, it can be done. BTW, have you been reading of all the patients coming back to the states after a TT in the DR with life threatening infections. The cost of the months of treatment necessary to cure such infections can be tens of thousands of dollars or more. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD