Revision Rhinoplasty Diced Cartilage wrapped in Fascia

What does a DCF feel like once its fully healed and incorporated into the nose? Does it feel like regular bone that is meant to be on the bridge? Also, and more importantly, does it look like the bone that's meant to be on the bridge? Is there a difference in what DCF in the bridge and bone in the bridge looks like, or is it impossible to tell the difference, especially if the surgeon is very experienced. I'm wondering because I've never seen one in person and am considering my options.

Diced Cartilage Wrapped in Fascia for Nasal Revision

I've used diced cartilage wrapped in fascia for a long time because the  survival of the graft is excellent and it  can be molded to avoid the sharp edges of solid cartilage and bone grafts. It looks and feels like normal bone and cartilage after healing is complete,

Diced Cartilage Wrapped in Temporalis Fascia in Revision Rhinoplasty

Diced Cartilage Wrapped in Temporalis Fascia (DCTF) is a superb way to increase bridge height. The graft feels natural once healed, and far superior to rigid rib, bone or other cartilage grafts. The survival is excellent in the long term. As in any graft, there are possible complications, but the DCTF is less likely to have typical graft complications (edges showing, shifting, loss of correction) than other dorsal grafts in revision rhinoplasty.

Minas Constantinides, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello Hoskel - Thanks for your question. A DCF graft for bridge augmentation is a wonderful procedure that I use routinely, especially in my Asian and African-American rhinoplasty patients. It looks and feels very natural once tissue ingrowth is completed. It typically does not feel hard like bone, solid rib graft, septum, or Medpor. I can guarantee that if you saw one of my patients with their DCF graft, you couldn't tell that the augmentation was surgical. You would swear that it looks like they were born that way. I have developed a way of finely chopping the cadaver rib graft I typically use that creates a very high surface area to volume ratio for each tiny piece of cartilage. This helps create a compact graft that can revascularize more efficiently (in my opinion.) 40% of my practice involves revision rhinoplasty. I would be happy to discuss your case by Skype if that would help? Check out my blog article below about Revision Rhinoplasty...Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

I personally like diced cartilage wrapped in fascia. There are a number of technical variables that  effect the final result. As far as your question does it look like bone the answer is no. I feel the appearance is superior to bone grafts in my experience.