Could I have a revision rhinoplasty at 7 months post?

My swelling seems to have dissipated and I want to build my nose back up. My bridge is has been completely whittled down (never asked for it) and my tip is not at the position I wanted-- it is far too high up and a ball. So essentially, rather than going in for a smaller nose I want mine bigger and my tip derotated .Could this be done at 7mo post op?

Revision at 7 months

Why not. It  depends on what you want done.. I have been in practice 40 years and on a few cases done surgery on revisional cases early. Some emotionally distraught patients demand it. If you can put your finger on the bridge of the nose and the skin can be slid easily cephalically then caudally  I believe that is when you can operate.If the skin can be separated you can get to the framework.

Hello, and thank you for the question. I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the outcome of your surgery. It is best to wait at least one year prior to having any revision work performed, as the nose is not fully healed at 7 months post-op. I would recommend giving your nose some more time to heal; your prospective surgeon will be able to answer any specific questions. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Revision

It takes a year for most of the scarring to soften. To get the best result I would wait a full year to undergo a revision.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty at 7 Months

Some revision can be done at 7 months but the problems you describe it probably would be best to wait another 4-5 months. You want to be conservative so you only do this one more time. I need to see pictures to avoid such a generic answer.

Revisionary rhinoplasty at 7 months?

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your results. The healing process is definitely not finished at 7 months. Even though it seems that the swelling has completely subsided, it hasn’t. It is best to wait a full year before any revisionary surgery to your nose to avoid additional issues or complications.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Revision rhinoplasty at one year

The healing process is not complete at 7 months after a rhinoplasty procedure. As best to wait at least one year to rebuild up the bridge and tip.

Timing revision rhinoplasty

Hi there, thank you for your question. Traditionally, it is recommended to wait a full year before having a revision. At 1 year, most of the swelling has resolved and you are working with a stable nose to reshape. Because of the changes you are looking for (rebuilding the bridge and nasal tip), I would recommend waiting the full year. Sometimes I have done revisions at an earlier time period, particularly if I don't expect a problem to improve over time. You could consider doing the surgery sooner, and to find the best time I would recommend meeting with surgeons to discuss what the revision would involve and what timing they would recommend. Hope this helps! 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Waiting a year would be best.

Waiting a year will be best to see what the final result will be.  If you try and make the correction now, there may be an under or over correction depending on how much residual swelling you have.  I would also see another rhinoplasty surgeon for a second opinion.  The chances that your first surgeon will make the appropriate correction are not very good.  Good luck!

Revision rhinoplasty

The main reason to wait at least a year is to allow edema and swelling to resolve enough so that you have the most accurate picture of what is present and needs to be corrected. This way you don't over or under correct. Based on your concerns this would seem to be very critical. If you have already waited seven months, another five should not be to difficult to wait in return for a more accurate result.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhino

It is possible to have a revision between 4 and 12 months after surgery.It really depends what is being done during the revision and what was done during the initial surgery.In some cases it will be fine to operate early while in other situations it is not a good idea.