Does a reduction include a lift?

Hi all! I'm new here and excited to start my reduction journey. I'm 35 and currently a size 34M but I'm still nursing. My size pre-baby was 30G. My plan is to get a reduction in a year or so once I stop nursing and wait 6 months. My question is, will I need a lift in addition to a reduction or is the lift included in the surgery for a major reduction? I'll probably be going to a C if that sounds good to my sergeon. Thanks!

Reduction and lift

Yes, when a reduction is performed, the areola is lifted, the tissue is molded, and the excess skin and gland  is removed 

Breast Reduction VS Breast Lift

Breast Reduction and Breast Lift are the book ends of the same operation which is intended to create s balance between the size of the breast skin envelope and the breast tissue filling the envelope while repositioning the nipple complex to an attractive forward pouting position. 

If the breast skin is too large in comparison to the breast tissue inside of it, regardless of how much breast tissue is inside, the breasts will sag and the nipple will be pointing down. In this case, if you are happy with the size of the breasts but just wanted them perky, a Breast Lift would be done. Here there is a large resection and tailoring of skin without breast tissue removal with nipple repositioning in a youthful location.
In the same circumstances if you wanted just a little breast tissue removed from one ( for symmetry) or both breast, a Breast Lift with a small reduction would be done and the nipples will be raised and made more symmetrical on both new breasts. 
If on the other hand the amount of breast skin and inside breast tissue were appropriate proportionate but large OR the tissue was large, in this case both excess breast tissue and the required amount of breast skin envelope would be removed AND the nipples are again raised and placed in a youthful position. ( This answers your question). Many but not all of the breast reductions are still partially covered by insurance plans but it is getting harder to get them approved because insurers want to be sure they are paying for a large Breast Reduction not a small reduction or a lift and create a variety of hurdles women and surgeons have to go through before the surgery is approved and then before payment is issued. 

Does a breast reduction include a lift?

Thank you for the question. When a patient undergoes breast reduction surgery, she will “automatically” undergo breast lifting surgery at the same time. This occurs because as a breast is reduced it is also “lifted” on the patient's chest wall. In other words, the nipple/areola complexes are moved superiorly and the ptotic (drooping) breast skin/tissue is removed as well.
When the time is right seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; for example, "C cup” and/or “proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people.

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more about these procedures.
Best wishes; breast reduction surgery tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Breast reduction and lift

Yes, I get asked this quite often. A breast reduction includes a breast uplift.
The breast is made smaller and the nipple repositioned to a more pleasing site on the front of the new smaller breast mound.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

A Breast Reduction Includes a Breast Lift #breastreduction #breastlift

• A breast reduction includes a breast lift.
  • Your nipple/areolar complex will be lifted to a new and more pleasing position during your reduction.
  • A breast lift, however, does not include a breast reduction.
  • During a breast lift very little breast tissue is removed, and the breast tissue/skin is repositioned to make the breasts perkier.  During a breast reduction, a significant amount of breast tissue is removed to make the breast smaller.
  • Best of luck to you!

Does a reduction include a lift?

Congratulations on your baby and your decision to have a breast reduction.  This operation is considered one of the most satisfying procedures for patients in plastic surgery.  Short answer, yes.  A breast reduction removes breast tissue, excess skin and re-contours and lifts the breast to achieve a more aesthetic appearance.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Candidate for a BR

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a breast reduction.

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman’s breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation.
Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
Large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Breast Reduction with Breast Lift

Yes, a #Breast Reduction and #Lift, or, #AugmentationMastopexy can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired.
Additionally, both procedures can be done in the same surgery if the patient is suitable. Such will be determined during a one-on-one consultation.

Does a reduction include a lift?

Yes, it does. However, in someone with your breast dimensions, the nipple/areola will need to be removed and reattached as a graft using the conventional Wise pattern technique. This maneuver renders your nipples numb. The Ultimate Breast Reduction method does not remove the nipple areola complex, therefore preserving nipple sensitivity. The UBR also does not require breast implants to achieve upper pole fullness and has also eliminated the vertical incision despite breast size. Take a look below.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Reduction

Thank you for your question.  In short, yes the breasts will also be lifted during the reduction procedure.  You should search board-certified plastic surgeons' sites for before and after photos demonstrating this.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL