What would you recommend for my jowls and turkey neck?

I am a 50 year old woman in good health, good shape. I have been trying to put off a face however the injectables are no longer working for my drooping jowls and turkey neck. What would you recommend? Do I need a mini lift and possibly chin implant? will I get good results if I decide to move forward with something invasive?

Drooping Jowls and Turkey Neck - mini lift vs neck lift vs deep plane lift

For 50 you're looking great from what i can see.  A mini lift can mean different things for different surgeons.  For some it means that not much is done and for others it means just the jawline and neck are pulled back.  The most effective type of lift you can do is a vertical deep plane neck lift with or without the face at the same time.  The benefit of doing the face at the same time is that more of a release is performed and the results are much more substantial.  A deep plane lift can be combined with platysmal tightening to rid you of the bands for years and years give a very well defined angle of the mandible when you do a lateral myotomy.  There is a lot of information out there about which lift is better.  Ultimately, the only thing you can rely on is surgeons photos.  I have some tips on how to review surgeons photos to fully understand their abilities. Definitely a good idea to review them.  Best of luck!

What would you recommend for my jowls and loose skin on my neck?

From the photos it appears that you are starting to develop some jowling and have loose skin on your neck. In person consultation is needed for more definitive recommendations, but it appears that you would be a good candidate for a face and neck lift.

A facelift procedure would re-elevate the SMAS and improve jowling. Excess skin could be removed.
A neck lift would allow the surgeon to remove the hanging skin on your neck and perform a platysmaplasty, which further helps improve the appearance of the neck.

It's difficult to tell from just lower face photos, but it appears that you may also have loss of facial volume. This can be improved at the time of a facelift by transferring fat to the face. Fat can be liposuctioned from your flank and transferred to your face. This can add volume to the cheekbone areas, help soften the nasolabial fold, and can be placed other areas like the temple or bony rim near your eyebrow. Increasing volume in these areas as a significant effect on improving the youthful appearance of the face. Once the fat obtains a new blood supply in the face then these volume corrections should be relatively permanent.

Face neck lift for rejuvenation of the jowls and turkey neck

A comprehensive lower face and neck lift  can rejuvenate the face and neck by lifting the jowls and tightening the neck skin. In our practice, a lower face/neck lift involves tightening loose facial and neck skin, tightening the neck muscles in 3 locations, lifting the facial muscles and jowls, and removing any fatty deposits in the neck.  A mini-lift will give mini results and will not help with the neck issues

Thank you for your question. This is a common question. Fillers are just not a replacement for a facelift!

Looking at your photos, you appear to have some jowling with prejowl notching, marionette lines and neck banding. This is due to sagging of the soft tissue structures of the face. You would benefit from a lower face (neck) lift with a prejowl augmentation (possibly a chin-prejowl). The prejowl correction is very important and you need a platysmal correction not just a skin lift.  Don't get hung-up in confusing terminology such as "mini", instead have the type of operation that will address your situation, and correct the problems with long lasting results.
You appear to be an excellent candidate. Consult with a qualified, boarded facial plastic surgeon and ask questions. Best wishes.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift surgeon in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in neck lift surgery. You will likely need a platysmal plication in the midline and tightening of the lax skin in the upper neck. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Jowls and neck

Based on the photo any number of modern face/neck lifts are probably your best bet at this stage .The non invasive options are probably not going to give the best results 

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

You look like an excellent candidate for a neck lift.

Dear Suzcoco;

Always great to hear from Chicago friends. I was born, raised, and trained there at Northwestern University and the University of Illinois Medical Centers.

One of the good things I learned there was management of a sagging neck, as you have. You appear to be thin and what you are seeing is the sagging platysma neck muscles. The most likely successful procedure is a neck lift done through a single horizontal, under-the-chin incision, gaining access to the neck.

The operation consists of removing the fat both above and below that platysma muscle and then the platysma muscle corsetplasty, in which the edges of the muscle are trimmed and tightened as if a corset were fashioned deep in the neck.

Most likely you do not need any skin removed, but that evaluation is very important and one you should have. Regarding a chin implant: I can not tell from these views; you need a profile view to ascertain if the chin goes as far forward as a vertical line dropped from the upper and lower lips. If that's the case, a chin implant can be inserted through the same single incision just under the chin.

The homework time you spend will be worth it. You want to do cosmetic facial surgery right – the first time. The most critical element of the process is surgeon selection. Ideally, you want a board-certified surgeon, in either plastic surgery or head & neck surgery-fellowship trained, who is highly focused on the procedure(s) you want, who performs them at least weekly and who has been in practice for a minimum of ten years.

Websites are the key to understanding the practice. You should see at least dozens of before and after pictures, showing the changes in the procedure you want. The most helpful sites have a variety of graphics, including photos of how you might look one or five or ten days after surgery. Look for detailed explanations of all procedures. The site should answer nearly every question you have. Generally, the top practices have the thickest, richest and most informative websites. The dedicated doctor spends much time building an educational website for your benefit.

Here's another hint: Ask the practice if you can speak with one or more patients who have had the same procedure(s) you want. See their before and after photos if possible. You learn most from walking in the shoes of those who have made the journey before.

Then go on some consultations. The more before-surgery consultations you go to, the more you’ll learn about your procedure. Prepare a list of questions beforehand and take notes as the surgeon talks. In the best practices, no interruptions should take place. And, you should be spending more time with the surgeon than with the office administrative staff. You should not feel rushed or that you are on a consultation conveyer belt.

Take a friend or relative along as two brains are always better than one in gaining information and understanding. If you hear a medical term you don’t understand, ask the surgeon to explain it in plain English. Ask yourself two key questions: “Is this surgeon teaching or selling?” And, can I put my life and my face into this particular doctor’s hands? Can I trust him?”

Another super-important element of the best consultations: Computer Imaging.

Here’s how that works: photos are taken of you as you are and uploaded onto a special computer system that can morph your present appearance into an anticipated after picture. (The technology is also known as Computer Morphing.)

Imaging is an incomparable learning tool because it provides a forum for doctor-patient agreement on an after surgery result that would satisfy you and is a result the doctor can deliver. After all, cosmetic surgery is 100% visual. It’s about appearance but without visuals, everything is left to the imagination. To anticipate a successful outcome, there must be a meeting of the minds between surgeon and patient.

Why waste your time on a consultation in which the surgeon can’t demonstrate what he envisions as the outcome? Would you buy a painting without seeing it? In my opinion, a consultation without computer imaging is nearly worthless.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Face and Neck lift

To tighten the jawline and neck the only procedure that will make a significant difference is a face and neck lift.  A mini-lift is not the best term for any specific procedure and can mean many different things.  A "facelift" involves some form of incisions that go around the ears and along the hairline both behind and in front of the ear which allows elevation of the deeper layer tissues so that little tension can be placed on the skin.  This lift mostly affects the lower face/jowls/jawline which is why people commonly call a facelift a "lower face lift".  Commonly an incision is also placed below the chin for more thorough treatment of the neck or neck lift.  However, I believe a face and neck lift is not enough in most patients and a comprehensive rejuvenation plan will involve some volume addition in the form of fillers or fat grafting (as I like to use in surgery) to optimally improve the jawline and other areas of the face. 

Dino R. Elyassnia, MD

Turkey neck

You do look like you have taken good care of your self but seem to have a common problem.  A customized neck/facelift is going to best address your issues.   Performed properly, you look like you have potential for a great result.  Don't be fooled by 'quick fixes' and be careful of what to expect from noninvasive treatments.  A knowledgeable surgeon can perform a safe effective deep plane lift with long lasting results.  Adjuncts such as a chin implant or fat volumization should be considered as good complements to achieving the most natural results.

Christopher Cote, MD
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Muscular neck lift

You need a surgeon performing a cervicofacial deep lift with minimal skin removal but with extensive and deep work on the SMAS and the platysma (causes of the jowls and turkey's bands).

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon