Recommend fillers for tear trough? (Photo)

I have deep tear troughs in my face especially on the left side. Would fillers completely remove all the tear trough or will it be a partial fix? Which doctors would you recommend in Chicago?

Doctor Answers 10

Fillers for tear trough

Hi there, from your pictures it looks like you're a good candidate for filler in your tear trough. I recommend Voluma in the US since it lasts up to 2 years. You will always have some tear troughs but filler will go a very long way. I would recommend 1-2 syringes per side. 

Columbus Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Fillers for Tear Troughs

By looking at your photos I think you are a great candidate hyaluronic acid filler in the tear trough area. I prefer to use Restylane in this area because patients tend to instantly look more rested and younger. I recommend an in person consultation with an expert to determine the best treatment plan for you. Best of Luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Tear trough

Thank you for your question. I suggest belotero or volbella as tear trough filler. Check Dr Murad Alam in Chicago.

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Tear through treatment

hi and thanks for your question. I think you wil get a very good result with filler injection. Redensity 2 is a very good option but I use Restylane or Juvederm as well.

See an expert physician for consult

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Yes, you are a candidate for tear trough fillers

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on the photos provided, it does appear that you have a mild to moderate amount of volume loss in the tear trough area. You will always have a tear trough, but a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane or Belotero will help to restore volume to the area and make you look more refreshed. If considering filler treatment in this area, I recommend seeing a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon familiar with doing tear trough filler for a personalized consultation.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Under Eye Hollowness

Thank you for your question. Injectable fillers such as Restylane can be an excellent treatment option for under eye hollowness. I would seek a consultation with an experienced injector. We for instance have 2 national trainers for Allergan on staff, the makers of Botox & Juvederm, and rank in the top 2% in the nation in volume. Best wishes.  

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Favorite Filler for Tear Troughs

Dear icecool887:

My favorite filler for tear troughs in Canada is Teosyal Redensity II, which works with great effect to soften up this area for up to a year.  Please see an expert injector.  All the best.

Praven Chetty, MD
Kelowna Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Tear trough treatment

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo. I do think you're a great candidate for placement of a hyaluronic acid filler in your tear trough (i.e., under eye) area. In this area I prefer Restylane or Volbella, but there are other fillers that work well in this location. This is one of my favorite procedures to perform, as patients instantly look more rested and younger. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews


Thank you for your question.

In general, I prefer to use hyaluronic acid fillers in the tear troughs.  My preferred one is Restylane, but others may recommend something different.  There are many excellent surgeons in Chicago who can perform this for you.  I recommend you consult with an experienced eyelid surgeon who will evaluate your entire lower lid (just in case there may be a better option for you than just fillers) to discuss your options.


Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Tear troughs

Fillers can certainly be used in the tear troughs.  That area requires a skilled injector to give it a natural look.  I like the softer hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm Ultra or diluted Voluma.  Another good option is fat transfer, which is harder to do, but can have longer lasting results.  Don't be afraid to visit with several providers and ask their opinions and level of experience in this area of the face, then pick the one you feel most comfortable with.   Good luck!

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.