Questions on lip fillers; is this normal? (Photos)

I got lip fillers (Juvaderm ) and week ago And as soon as the Dr. Did it my lower lip developed these lumps wich look like blister inside my lips. Is this normal? Will it go away and how long does it take? Also my bottom lips is not even. The middle of my lower lip is not the same as my inner corners of lips. Is this also normal or is this how it's going to look until the filler goes away Thank you

Filler in lips

Filler in lips can cause swelling and lumps may be from filler. Often this can be massaged out within  few days of occurring. it may need to be dissolved.

Lip Fillers and lumps

These lumps need treatment and I would definitely consult your treating physician for examination.  These lumps can be dissolved with Vitrase.  Best, Dr. Green

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Bumps

You should go back to the doctor and have the bumps massaged and treated.  This is excessive.
Good Luck. 
Please make sure that you are using an expert for your injections.
Dr. Quenby Erickson

Questions on lip fillers; is this normal?

You need to follow up with your doctor or see another doctor who is experienced in lip injections as you may need the injection reversed in the lumpy areas. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

This is not normal and should be reversed and treated right away.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

See your provider

Thanks for the question.  You are still early at one week so swelling and some lumps could be normal.  However, those lumps concern me and I don't think they will go away on their own.  I would see your injector ASAP.  Some massage may help to redistribute the product better, and worse case scenario some Vitrase may need to be used to dissolve the product.  

Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Thank you for your question.  At a week from treatment you may have some residual swelling affecting your results but the overall appearance is not normal.  You will likely be left with some irregularity and lumps that will need do be dissolved with hyaluronidase.  Best wishes. 

Bruising and swelling are a common complication with lip augmentation, but the lumps in your photo are more than what we expect to see.  The filler can take 6-8 months to dissipate. I recommend returning to see your physician injector now. Some of the product may need to be dissolved.

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps after lip filler

Thank you for your question.  This does look rather uneven.  One week post treatment you likely do still have some swelling, and I recommend to my patients that they give it a few weeks before they truly "love" their lips.  I would recommend you make a follow up appointment with your physician injector to discuss your concerns and have them examine you themselves.  They could massage the filler to help it re-distribute or they could inject hyaluronidase to dissolve the lumps.  Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon