How much can you project a tip?

What is the limit on how much you can project a tip? I'm half middle eastern, half caucasian and had a very projected nose before my rhinoplasty (which I liked). My surgeon reduced my tip projection by like 4-5mm, and I would like to restore the tip projection to it's previous amount. I don't want it to look very pointy though, I still want my tip to look soft and a bit bulbous. Is it possible and realistic to project my tip that amount, while keeping it's softness and bulbousity?

Increasing Tip Projection

Certainly tip projection can be increased but how much will depend on your needs and goals rather than an absolute number of mm. Pictures are necessary to answer your question.

Increasing nasal projection

It is possible to greatly increase a nose's projection with various surgical techniques (via a combination of cartilage grafts and precise suturing).  One limitation may be your nasal skin.  If it is too tight, then it will put a "ceiling" on the amount the projection your surgeon will be able to obtain.  This can only be evaluated during a nasal/rhinoplasty physical examination.  
Good luck!

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip projection

Thanks for your question. You can project a tip quite a bit, depending on what the patient needs. To project a tip, you can either use suture techniques or cartilage graft techniques which can sometimes be done via a closed rhinoplasty approach. To keep your nose from looking too pointy, you'd probably need a cartilage graft- the technique is called a tip graft or a shield graft. You probably have thick skin though, if you're half middle eastern, so don't be surprise if it takes months to over a year to see any final result in the tip after revision surgery. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty for more projection

Without a full set of facial photographs, it is very difficult to determine what can and cannot be accomplished with a difficult revision rhinoplasty procedure. Cartilage grafting techniques are usually performed to give added projection to the  nose.

Rhinoplasty

The issue is what do you look like now and what can be done to improve the situations.There are multiple variables that will determine the answer to your question.