Preparing for and recovering from breast augmentation?

I am having my breast augmentation on 10/28/15 and am worried about recovery. What can I do pre op and post op to help prepare my body for healing? Also is massaging the breasts post op helpful to soften the implants and help them drop?

I appreciate your question.

Please check with your surgeon.  He/she should have a detailed and specific set of pre-op and post-op instructions for you to follow.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Preparing for and recovering from BA

Hello, all of your questions are excellent but they should be discussed directly with your PS.  Every surgeon will have a care regimen that works well in their practice.  Not every surgeon recommends postop massage so this also needs to be clarified with your surgeon.

Breast augmentation preparation and recovery

5 days away!

Don't take aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxyn as these blood thinners could cause bleeding and bruising.  

Get some sort of cooling ready for lower half of the breast were the majority of the dissection takes place.  Frozen peas in large ziplock bags work well with two on the breasts and two in the freezer.  Do this for the first two days following surgery.  After the third day, warm moist heat is helpful to speed healing.

Take it easy in the first week no matter how good you feel.  I find that some patients are so elated after surgery, they clean they clean the house or go work out.  They pay for it later in the week with increased pain, swelling and bruising.

You should ask about the limitations your plastic surgeon recommends at you first postoperative visit.

Prep & Recovery Breast Augmentation

Since your surgery is relatively soon, I'd imagine you've had a pre-op.  Most doctors have their own set of recommendations and each may vary slightly.  If your doctor is fine with this often our patients are advised to take Arnica Montana pre surgery to help minimize bruising.  It's a natural healing agent.  Avoiding any blood thinners 10-14 days pre surgery, or whatever your surgeons time frame may have been. Massaging usually doesn't start until 7-14 days after surgery.  Wearing a good post surgical bra is beneficial, sports bra style with sufficient support and hooks or zippers in the front.  Follow physical activity guidelines i.e. no heavy lifting, pushing or pulling during the few weeks following surgery, take it easy, rest, those kind of things.

Best of Luck.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for breast augmentation

Each plastic surgeon has his/her own preferences. I supply my patients a pre operative instruction folder and review all medications. Some advice includes increasing fluid intake, fresh fruits and vegetable prior to surgery to ease possible constipation.

I also have specific compression garments I insist my patients wear for a minimum of 2 weeks and have cleansing routines both pre and post surgery. I personally do not have patients massage.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from breast augmentation.

Each surgeon will have a program that works with his particular augmentation technique. We for instance will supply the proper bra and use a breast band, and are not in favor of a massage routine. Written instructions are very helpful to our patients, so ask your surgeon just what to do for a smooth recovery.

Each surgeon has his/her own specific protocol for postoperative recovery and massage. Surgeons use different techniques intraoperatively which affects how their patients heal which is why different surgeons have different recovery protocols.
Preoperatively, make sure that you are eating a balanced diet and stop all supplements and diet pills. You can resume them after surgery, but check with your surgeon for when to restart.
If you are a smoker, it is beneficial to decrease or stop smoking around the procedure.

Breast Aumentation

Your questions are appropriate for your surgery.I  would suggest you contact your surgeon and go over each question prior to your surgery.

Preparing for plastic surgery

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. In our office we have an eBook which will help you plan for surgery. You can access it at on our website.
Massage after surgery will be helpful. Most surgeons will suggest this but they can vary in when you should start. This is good thing to ask your surgeon about.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Recovery questions

These are great questions. You should call your surgeons office to get specific instructions. Each surgeon prefers their own recovery method and you would do best to adhere to your surgeons plan.

David Shifrin, MD