Is a periodontist recommended for a gum lift?

Do you suggest using a periodontist rather than a cosmetic dentist for a gum lift on just a few teeth?

Periodontist vs Cosmetic Dentist

The best of both worlds usually means a team approach where both a cosmetic dentist and a periodontist participate in the treatment of the patient's case.

Choose a Periodontist

I may be a little bit biased, but I recommend choosing someone who specializes in the treatment of gums when considering a gum lift. As a cosmetic dentist and periodontist, I know that cosmetic dentists can get good results performing a gum lift. But if you have the opportunity to choose, it's best to go to a gum care specialist for procedures that directly involve gum tissue. Good luck.

Alex Farnoosh, DMD
Los Angeles Dentist

Gum Lift

Hi, and thank you for your question. The periodontist is the indicated specialist regarding your gums. Specialists are accustom to working hand-in-hand with cosmetic dentists so they can bring you their individualized expertise to your case and hopefully, the very best outcome. When considering gum surgery, think periodontist. Best of luck to you!  

Probably best if you choose a Cosmetic Dentist who can do this also

Anytime you can go to a Cosmetic Dentist who is trained to perform all aspects of creating a smile makeover such as orthodontics, gum lift and veneers, you are probably going to get everything completed just as the Cosmetic Dentist planned and envisioned your case.  While specialists could be utilized to complete the items that your dentist may not be trained in or comfortable doing, there is something to be said for going to the same office for every procedure necessary and having the same clinician perform every procedure that has been planned for the attractive, balanced outcome expected. I am perfectly comfortable performing gum lifts involving bone contouring.  As a matter of fact, I am performing Esthetic Crown Lengthening (gum lift) on 10 teeth tomorrow morning for a patient who I just completed Invisalign on last week.  She will then return in 6 weeks for her veneer impressions to complete her smile makeover.  I enjoy answering questions about how Invisalign, gum lifts and veneers may be utilized to get a balanced, natural look when performing complete smile makeovers.

Douglas Jopling, DDS
Dallas, TX area

Specialist for gum ligt

The specialist in everythink concern to the gums is a periodontist. A periodontist is a dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease, and in the placement of dental implants. Periodontists are also experts in the treatment of oral inflammation. Periodontists receive extensive training in these areas, including three additional years of education beyond dental school. They are familiar with the latest techniques for diagnosing and treating periodontal disease, and are also trained in performing cosmetic periodontal procedures. 

Yocasta Caba, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist

Gum lift

A periodontist may be necessary if bone needs to be removed. If the gum lift is in the soft tissue only your dentist can do it easily with a laser.