Pain in left breast after BA 4 days post op.

I am 4 days post op and I feel great already off of pain meds and would be totally fine. My problem is my left breast. My right one is virtually painless. I am feeling a lot of tightness swelling coldness and pain in the left one and it's constant. Any idea what could be causing this?

Post Breast Augmentation, One-Sided Pain

Each breast healing a little differently and asymmetric pain can be quite common. This will typically even out after the first few weeks, however I recommend that you see your Plastic Surgeon if you have increasing pain, tightness or visible changes in that breast.

All the best

Asymmetrical discomfort following breast augmentation

Without seeing you in consultation, I can not make a diagnosis, but I certainly would bring it to your surgeon's attention at the first opportunity. Possible explanations for why a POD 4 BA patient may experience more pain on one side than the other would include:
- slightly different procedures from one breast to another
- sutures used to secure infra-mammary fold can be uncomfortable and don't always feel the same
- stretching and irritation of small sensory nerves, which can also feel different from side to side
- bleeding (hematoma)
- infection

Some of these possibilities require treatment, while the others need only reassurance as they resolve on their own. 

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Pain in Left Breast 4 Days Post Op

#Pain and #discomfort vary per person following a #BreastAugmentation. As healing will continue for 2-3 months, swelling, bruising, malposition and color differences are common. Sensation may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting #pains will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.

Additionally, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural.

If my patients have concerns that their healing or pain are unusual, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Left breast issue

Without an exam in person I can not say if this is normal or not.  You are best to see your surgeon..

Onesides breast pain after breast augmentation

Hi Livb,

Thanks for your question. Based on your description of pain, I would recommend seeing your surgeon asap. It seems like you have a hematoma or a collection of blood. Usually it means that one side of chest is more swollen than the other, more pain, and tightness. Sometimes if the blood collection is so severe that it could stop circulation and make it feel cold. Again, without a photo, we can not be sure. Please call your doctors office and make sure. Good Luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@hematoma @breastaugmentation @docmata #drcarlosmata

Possible hematoma

Sounds like a hematoma. Seek your surgeon as soon as possible. Large hematoma may require evacuation and drainage 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Visit is not uncommon for discomfort to vary between the 2 breasts following breast augmentation.  However if the painful breast is tight, larger than the opposite side and you feel intense pressure you should see your plastic surgeon to rule out a hematoma.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

While recovering from a breast augmentation surgery, there is about 3 days of intense soreness, followed by another week of mild to medium soreness, and rapid recovery after that. I tell all of my patients that 6 weeks is when they usually feel back to normal, although there will be occasional small shooting pains and sore areas that occur from time to time which is normal to the healing process. If the pain continues longer or gets sharper, please see a medical professional as soon as possible.

Jay Burns, MD

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Pain

Post operative recovery does not necessarily happen at the same pace in both breasts. However, tightness and swelling that is present in one breast can be a sign of a blood or fluid collection. A patient who experiences these symptoms after surgery should contact their surgeon for evaluation and possible treatment if indicated.

Bryan G. Forley, MD