Best option for lifting eyebrows? (Photo)

My whole life I have had the same problem; due to genetics (on both sides of the family, of course) my eyebrows droop quite excessively, and I have gotten into the habit of always raising them because they bother me so much. I find that when my eyebrows are lifted up, I can actually see much more in my field of vision. My question is what is the best method to fix this problem; botox or brow lift? I am in high school so its not a normal age for brow lifts, but they are quite below my brow bone

Best option for lifting eyebrows?

There are a couple options to help obtain the results you are seeking. One more “long lasting” result would be an endoscopic brow lift. This requires an operation that allows your surgeon to elevate your brows back to a normal position on your face. Incisions would be made along and in your hairline that could be well hidden. Given your age and ability to delay surgery, another option would be botox injections in your forehead. Botox can be used to relax the muscle forces that pull down on your eyebrows while allowing the elevator muscles to hold your brows in place. The botox injections will allow for an improvement in your concerns with little downtime.

Lifting Eyebrows

Hi Ameliah

The characteristic appearance of a forehead that is too low will include extra, saggy flesh of the upper lids and loss of a youthful brow arch. Combination therapy using lower lid and upper lid blepharoplasty and brow repositioning are common in combinations to rejuvenate the upper face.

Botox can result in slight elevation of the eyebrows but those results would be much more subtle and shorter term than the long lasting results you would get from brow lift surgery. Although brow lift surgery offers a long lasting solution to combat the signs of ages, there is no guarantee that your wrinkles will go away as the main benefit of brow lift surgery is lifting of the brow with secondary lifting of upper eyelid skin.

As you are still very young, it is worth going to see a qualified and experienced surgeon who may be able to offer you some options on what is best suited. Good Luck

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Low brows in a young person (teenaged)

When brows are lower than desired or when they create an unwanted hooding, tired or sad appearance, it is normal to seek improvement. (On the other hand, many people possess many variations of facial anatomy and this is not a ‘deformity’).  A number of surgical procedures can help elevate the brow although these procedures are not necessarily permanent.   In a young person, it is usually wise to not to proceed with the most invasive procedures, for a variety of reasons.  

One possible option may be the use of Botox or Dysport to weaken the ‘depressor’ muscles around the brow and allow the ‘elevator’ muscles to raise the brows. This lasts about 3 months, has very little risk, there is no downtime. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Nonsurgical Browlift Along With Botox Can Lift Brows Without Surgery

I agree that surgery at this time would be ill-advised. It has been my experience in well over a decade of performing them routinely that nonsurgical browlifts using both a volumizing filler, such as Juvederm Ultra Plus XC, accompanied by the use of Botox (or Dysport or Xeomin) will likely provide sufficient lift and durability of the results to please you.

For more information about these treatments, I suggest you search the archives of RealSelf. Be sure to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in treating the periorbital region. And make sure to ask to see his/her before and after photos before proceeding. Good luck to you. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Best option for lifting eyebrows?

There are at least 8 different ways to lift eyebrows. Many factors come into play such a gender, age, height of hair line, quantity and quality of your hair, and of course, your preference. In a perfect world, if it didn't leave a scar, we would put the incision just above the brow. It would be the most direct, stable place to put it. Since that would leave a scar, the concept is the closer we can make the incision to the brow that doesn't leave a scar we can't live with, then that's where we put the incision. For example, some men have deep creases in their forehead, and an incision can be placed in the natural crease, and once it heals, it looks like a natural crease. If your hairline is high, an incision just behind the hairline will bring the hairline down, while an incision back in the hair can raise the hairline. Endoscopic brow lift techniques are available but since they do not remove any skin, the results can be less permanent. Be sure to discuss your desires with a surgeon who is well versed in all of the options, and make sure you both are on the same page so that you can get the look that you desire and a scar that is acceptable.
Botox can be used to temporarily give a "chemical brow lift" by relaxing the muscles that bring your brow down and allowing the natural elevator muscle (frontalis muscle) to lift the brow.

John Standefer MD

Familial eyebrow position

At this point I would recommend at most botox injections. You should talk to your parents about this. Then you can make an appointment with a board certified Plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist experienced in Botox.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Options for brow lifting

Botox and Dysport can achieve some level of brow lifting, but it is nowhere near as dramatic as a surgical lift.

With your age, I think there is no question that you should start with a more noninvasive option like Botox or Dysport, when properly done this may suit your needs very well. With time, if you want to consider a more definitive option like surgery, you will at least have exercised the preceding options.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Method for Lifting the Eye Brows

It is not unusual for a young lady to have low brows when this is an inherited characteristic. Botox is an easy way to lift the brows but this may not achieve the desired result and the treatment must be repeated every 3-4 months. An endoscopic lift can be done but this will raise your hairline. If you want to maintain the brow position or lower it the best technique is the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Incision that we described many years ago. This incision is made in the soft hairs a the hairline so hair will grow through and in front of the incision to camouflage this line.

Best option for lifting eyebrows?

Hi, I have performed many Brow Lifts over the past 30 years.  From the photos, your eyebrows are very low which causes the upper eyelid fullness.  The Coronal Brow Lift remains the "gold standard" for raising eyebrows in a reliable and lasting manner (endoscopic browlifts and other brow suspension methods will not last).  The procedure is performed in about 1 hour and has a week recovery.  Below is an explanation of when a Brow Lift versus Upper Eyelid Surgery should be considered.

During your consultation, the surgeons should stand behind you as you look into a mirror and elevate your eyebrows into their proper aesthetic position as outlined in my book on face and body beauty.  When this is done there are three possible outcomes that decide what should be considered, Brow Lift, Eyelid Surgery, or a combination of both.

1.All the excess upper eyelid fullness is gone when the brows are elevated to their proper aesthetic position. This means all the laxity is due to the low eyebrows and a Brow Lift is recommended alone.  Should upper eyelid skin be removed in this scenario, the eyebrows will be pulled down further as the incision is closed, which should be avoided.

2.None of the upper eyelid fullness is reduced. This means that the eyebrows are in the proper aesthetic position and all the fullness is due to excess upper eyelid skin and an Upper eyelid surgery alone is recommended.
3.The most common in women over 50 years of age is when the brows are lifted, some but not all of the upper eyelid fullness is removed. This means the eyebrows are low and there is excess upper eyelid skin.  For complete upper eyelid rejuvenation both a Brow Lift and upper eyelid surgery is required.  If only a Brow Lift is performed some but not all of the upper eyelid fullness is reduced. If an upper eyelid surgery alone is considered, only the remaining amount of excess upper eyelid fullness shown with this maneuver can be removed.  If more is removed, the eyebrows will be pulled downward.

Hope this helps.

Best option for lifting eyebrows?

There are multiple ways to lift the brow. Given your age, I would start with Botox to see how much improvement it gives you. If you are under 18, you definitely need parental consent for your treatment.