Open wound on left breast, red itchy rash on both breasts after breast augmentation w/lift. Do I have an infection? (photo)

I have an open wound on my left breast with a red itchy rash on both breast. I seen my doctor twice, first he gave me a antibiotic ointment that's suppose to heal it and then I got a rash a couple days later. Should I be really concerned?

Opened Wound and Rash

Hello, and thank you for your question. I definitely understand your concern and if you are uncomfortable in any way with the healing of these incisions it would be best to visit your surgeon right away to have the area examined. They will be able to determine if healing is progressing well or if there is any problem with the incision. As far as the rash you received after the antibiotic, there is a chance that it is one that you have never used before and you may have an allergy. You may also want to visit your surgeon to make sure that there is no further reaction to the ointment used.

Good luck.

Red itchy rash on both breasts after breast augmentation w/lift.

Unfortunately we are unable to diagnose and treat on a web question forum, and if you have a rash or healing concerns you should take them to your surgeon who can examine the situation and provide proper medical treatment if needed. Good luck to you.

Open wound on left breast, red itchy rash on both breasts after breast augmentation w/lift. Do I have an infection?

Based on the pictures, it looks like slow healing. Make sure your plastic surgeon is aware of what is going on. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Open wound and itchy rash after lift with implants.

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and implants.

• I take any open wound after a lift with implants very seriously.
  • I suspect the antibiotic ointment is causing the rash.
  • You should see your surgeon again to be checked and to be certain the open wound is healing well.
  • If you, you may need an ultrasound to be sure there is not a deep infection.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS