Why do I have open wounds after my Breast reduction surgery?? (photos)

I had breast reduction surgery 23 days ago. I went two weeks later to my PS to remove the bandages and there was a small open wound and he just put a gauze with tape to cover it. He said it's going to heal on its own. It's been two weeks since and I feel like it's not healing. I don't smoke. I feel like just putting gauze in it won't help. The gauze sometimes gets stuck and it hurts to take it off. Sometimes it bleeds. Is this ok?

Open wounds

Sometimes the area of the "T" incision breaks down. This often goes on to heal with local wound care.

Open wounds after my breast reduction.

It is not that uncommon for a delay in healing after the T pattern reduction as this is where the skin tension is after the closure. You will heal as your surgeon says, so stay in close contact so he can guide your recovery.

Why do I have open wounds after my Breast reduction surgery??

Thank you for your question. Wounds in this area are common. Be patient and allow your body to heal. I would make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an examination and to discuss your convalescence as well as to address your concerns.

This is not unusual and will heal with proper care. Ask your surgeon if using an Vaseline or ointment will prevent the gauze form sticking.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Why do I have open wounds after my Breast reduction surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. The complication you are experiencing does happen occasionally (related to blood flow/tension in the area) and tends to go on to heal without long-term sequelae, except the possible need for scar revision in the future. At your stage of healing, sometimes the area opens further before it continues to close…

I would suggest continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  Follow his/her instructions when it comes to wound care and keeping the area clean/covered.  Given your concerns with dressing changes, see if your plastic surgeon will okay the use of non-strick dressings. Sometimes, removal of an exposed suture and/or any unhealthy tissue present will help expedite the healing process.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.

Open wound after Breast Reduction

Thank you very pictures. I'm sorry to hear about your healing issue. The wound looks very clean. I will continue to fall your plastic surgeon's instructions. Wounds of this nature do not heal very quickly and may take  two months or more to completely heal. Please be patient.