Odd hyper focused pain after body lift? (Photos)

4 weeks post op on TT/body lift (male–no muscle repair). Op went mostly great, but I have an odd pain about the size of a dime about 3 inches to the left of the midline of my spine and about 1 inch above the incision line. When I press on that spot I get a very sharp, focused, localized pain. It feels as if I’m pressing on a foreign object buried into the muscle. Could this be nerve damage or compression (superior cluneal nerves?)? Could this be a deep suture making the spot tender and sore?

Doctor Answers 4

Odd Pain

The pain that you are describing is probably related to a stitch that is helping to maintain the body lift.  While this type of pan usually resolves on its own, it would probably be helpful for you to review it with your surgeon as a first step.  He or she can then examine you and provide you with a more definitive answer.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Body lift - one site of deep pain

Thank you for asking about your body lift.

The pain is almost certainly a suture knot close to the skin. If it is bothersome enough, you can ask your surgeon to do a marcaine block of the area. At times, the pain will - for reasons I cannot explain - go away and not return, even though marcaine at most only lasts 8 hours.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Odd hyper focused pain after body lift?

Its still early after your surgery some pains are common. However, your surgeon should be made aware of this. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon


Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.