What's going on with my nose? Why is it straight but tip leaning down? (photos)

Hi, The nose is straight (bones and bridge) but the tip leans weirdly to one side/lower than the other? What causes this and can it be fixed?

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Tip Leans Weird

Thanks for your question.  Yes your nasal tip is assymetric and the left side hangs down more than the other side, giving it the weird leaning appearance.  It can be fixed with a rhinoplasty.  An open approach would allow the surgeon to correct the deformity and give you a better looking nasal tip. Good luck.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base issue

You have asymmetric insertions of your alar base. In my opinion it may not be correctable to your satisfaction without putting significant scars around the alar base.

Nose tip is leaning #rhinoplasty

The asymmetry you are seeing is due to a difference in where your nostrils attach. Your left nostril attaches lower than your right nostril. This is what rhinoplasty surgeons call asymmetric alar base insertion. The solution involves a rhinoplasty in which cartilage is inserted into the higher side to push this side down lower and decrease the asymmetry. Another less involved solution involves an incision close to the lower side that re-positions this side higher. I don't think you will ever be perfectly symmetric but it can be improved. This problem requires advanced skill and knowledge and so I recommend that you consult with very experienced rhinoplasty surgeons if you decide to seek a solution. 

Bradford A. Bader, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Leaning

What you are noticing is likely from different positions of the cartilage components that make up the tip of your nose (lower lateral cartilage).  Your tip position and shape can likely be changed by realigning these cartilages, and possibly using a cartilage graft for extra support.  I recommend you consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who will evaluate your nose and discuss your options.

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Tip asymmetry

Thank you for your question. It is hard to tell just from pictures, but it could be that the angle of the cartilages on your tip is different on each side. A graft of cartilage from your septum may be able to correct this. Obtaining perfect symmetry in this situation can be difficult, however. 

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon