My nose grew in crooked in high school. I had a deviated septum and a large bump on the left side of my nose. Advice? (photo)

I want my nose straightened. I got a septorhinoplasty done May 2014. My septum was straightened and the bump was removed, but there is still asymmetry in the appearance. This appears due to the misaligned nasal bones to my left side. I'm also wondering if I get the bones centered, will it help my breathing problem? I still have issues getting air in.

Revision rhinoplasty for the crooked nose

Since it has been at least one year, a revision rhinoplasty and accomplish straightening the crooked nose. osteotomies of the nasal bones are required to straighten them.  Any residual dorsal hump can be filed down.  Asymmetry in the tip of the nose may require cartilage grafting and cartilage removal to make the asymmetrical tip more symmetrical. For many before and afters of crooked noses repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below

Problems 2 Years Post Septorhinoplasty

A revision rhinoplasty can be done to address all the problems you describe including nasal breathing obstruction. If you don't want to return to your original surgeon consult with a revision rhinoplasty specialist.

Secondary Rhinoplasty

You require a secondary rhinoplasty.Secondary surgery is more difficult and less predictable than primary surgery. As far as the breathing issues it would depend on the internal anatomy.

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from spreader grafts to help straighten your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Crooked nasal bones

Your nasal bones could be repositioned with osteotomies to help straighten your frontal appearance. Without examining the inside of your nose and determining where your airway obstruction is coming from it is difficult to say what effect this would have on your breathing, if any.  Seek out a trusted revision and functional rhinoplasty expert to learn more. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist