How well are the new upper arm applicators working for Coolsculpt?

No amount of exercise will get rid of hanging upper arms (bat wings) and I was wondering what success rate is for doing that part of body. Also does the skin get loose after treatment in this area because I wouldn't want to kill off the fat and then have old lady shriveled skin. Thank you so much

Doctor Answers 11

Coolsculpting for arms

For the arms in particular, it is best that you are examined by a board certified plastic surgeon who can offer you the most effective treatment for your particular case.  CS can be very effective in the patient that has arm fat and good skin elasticity.  For a patient with very loose skin like after massive weight loss, surgery will give the more optimum result.
Best of luck!

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Make sure CoolSculpting is what you need...

CoolSculpting is a great noninvasive method of treating excess of fatty tissue inmany areas of the body, but it is somewhat limited in how much fat it can take from any one area, and what it can do for excess skin.Excess fat of the upper arm actually does do well with CoolSculpting, if it is a small to moderate amount of excess and the skin tone is good.Unfortunately, it sounds like your problem may be a little more involved (when you speak of “hanging” tissue and “bat wings”), those terms suggest to me that your skin tone probably is not very good and just removing the fat would not leave a very pretty result… We don’t need to trade one problem for another! Probably the better answer for a nice shape of the arm would be a brachioplasty where we excise both skin and fatty tissue.This does result in a scar, but often that would be less annoying than the excess skin you have.As always, the best answer is to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can help lead you down the best path to achieve your goals.

Marie E. Montag, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Batwings are frustrating!

Thank you for your question, many patients are frustrated by  fat in the upper arm.  There are surgical and non surgical options for treatment of this concern.  I recommend that you consult with a Plastic surgeon who is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who also is a Coolsculpting provider. I always suggest that it is reasonable to see more than one provider to educate yourself about your options. I hope that this advise is helpful to you.

Alan N. Larsen, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 55 reviews

Upper arms CoolSculpting

You bring up a good point, and I would recommend an experienced cosmetic physician examine you. When treating the upper arm it is important to determine the degree of fat present vs. the degree of skin laxity. If fat is the principle problem then CoolSculpting would be a great option, but it will not help tighten the skin if that is your primary problem. You need an examination to adequately answer your question.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Arm Applicators For Coolsculpting -- Get Hi Definition Contouring

Coolsculpting can do very little for shaping and defining of the arms and you only get about 20% fat reduction in a single treatment.  I would suggest a well trained liposuction expert to treat you.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

CoolSculpting for upper ar

CoolSculpting can work to reduce fat on the upper arm.  An exam would be needed to determine if you might be a good candidate for the procedure or not.  The characteristics of the skin normally would determine if there might be an issue with sagging skin after the fat reduction.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

CoolSculpting the upper arms

Thank you for your question.  It is hard to say much without photos or an exam.  To answer your question, we have had a very good experience with CoolSculpting in this area.  It is a very nice way to get rid of the fat in that particular area of the body.  We have not had an issue with extra hanging skin afterward.  I would suggest that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as he/she can best speak if you are a candidate for CoolSculpting vs. Brachioplasty, (arm lift)

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews


I appreciate your question.
the arm applicators work well for the right person

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Upper Arms and Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting works very well for the upper arms. However, if there is a great deal of skin laxity then a combination of coolsculpting and Thermage is best to help shrink the fat and tighten the skin.  Please consult an experienced board certified dermatologist who knows this technique to have great results.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

How well are the new upper arm applicators working for CoolSculpting?

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to determine if you are a CoolSculpting candidate without an in person assessment. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. If you are not a candidate you may want to consider brachioplasty. CoolSCulpting works well for the appropriate candidate. 

Sincerely yours, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 457 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.