1 month post BR and my incision area is looking black. Is this normal? I still have lots of extra skin. Will it go away? (Photo)

I've done my BR & lift on 8june2016. It's almost one month after my surgery and I am still on steril strips. One of the strips was off after my shower and I saw the incision area look black. Is this normal after one month of surgery? I am very worry because it seems like my wounds are still long way to go.

Incisions discolored 1 month after surgery

Thank you for including photos. It does look like there was some delayed healing under the bottom most portion of your breast, which might account for the darkening (hyperpigmentation) of the scar. I would bring this issue up with your surgeon to see if he/she has any advice regarding any topical treatments that can be used at this point to help things fade out better. The good news is that even if this is hyperpigmentation from some scar widening you can have this revised surgically at a later time when there is less tension on the breast skin and it is likely to heal up better.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

1 month post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
1 month after Breast Reduction, it's not time enough to express a valid opinion of results.
On the other hand, generally to avoid the normal p.o. swelling, I recommend to limit the arms movement for two weeks.
Also it's not advisable to carry weight and take the antiinflamatory painkillers drugs.
Finally, I recommend you always use a therapeutic bra.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Vertical lift

Your scare look dark as a normal reaction to healing in some darker skinned patients.  Review incision care with you surgeon to see what they advise.  Best of luck.

Breast reduction - dark scars and loose skin after a month

Thank you for your question about your breast reduction.
  • Dark scars can develop in people with color in their skin - after any surgery.
  • This appears to be what has happened in you.
  • The loose skin is the result of having a vertical breast lift -
  • The skin is swollen and the skin will slowly shrink down.
  • You will however probably need a small revision in 6 months - usually done in the office as there may still be some excess skin.
  • You should also arrange to see your surgeon in the next 2 weeks, for a six week check of your healing.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Concerned with Extra Skin After Breast Reduction

Thank you for your pictures.  In my opinion, this area of concern represents increased pigmentation.  This may be normal for you.  The lollipop incision typically  leaves excess skin.  The hope is that this skin will shrink up and the breast take shape.  I do not use steri-strips so I can't comment on there use.  Please reconnect with you plastic surgeon to get clarification on the steri-strips.  Best wishes.