Is Moderate Plus (silicone) or High Profile (silicone) implants better for my breast augmentation?

During my breast augmentation consultations, I have gotten conflicting answers re: the best implant profile for my build. I want natural-ish looking (not torpedo) breasts, but also want to make sure they look perky and youthful. I am just under 5'8", and 127 pounds. I have a very athletic frame with long legs and big hips, but my upper body is petite (

Confusion about breast implant Shape

I feel your pain. It can be very confusing about which shaped implant to achieve because there are a lot of options available and that is why you are getting many different recommendations. This comes down to analyzing your breast and that is difficult to do online. A proper evaluation must take into account your anatomy, breast width/diameter, chest shape, band width, breast glandular consistency, skin elasticity, chest wall contour, etc, This must also be balanced with your volume desires.

Seeing an experienced surgeon is valuable in helping you to arrive at the proper decision.

Tips for choosing between high profile versus moderate plus profile silicone breast implants to achieve natural looking breasts.

It sounds frustrating that you are getting conflicting answers. Sounds very straightforward that you are trying to choose the implant profile that will be achieve your goals and best fit your specific body characteristics. Be sure your consultation includes trying on these different implant profiles so that you can see what each profile will look like on your chest and with your athletic frame. Perky breasts are a function of the position your breast footprint on your chest, the amount of breast skin you have, its quality and tone. Work together with your Plastic Surgeon to understand the pros and cons of each profile as it relates to your individual anatomy and stature. Good Luck

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Moderate plus versus high profile for implant style

Without photos it will be difficult to give you a good recommendation. With that being said if you do not have much body fat or breast tissue to begin with, have an athletic build and are not wanting the fake looking round upper breast then likely a moderate plus will be a better option. If you are looking to go a lot bigger from your starting breast size it could be that a high profile implant would be required to get extra volume but not make your width or base diameter too wide. I would have an open conversation about your expectations for shape and size with your surgeon. You can bring photos to your consult of breasts you like and this will also give them a better idea of what you like. I also use a system called Vectra which takes a 3D photo of you and allows you to try on all styles and sizes of implants to get a better idea of your result before surgery. 

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

What does dropping and fluffing of the breast mean?

Without an exam or photos we have no idea what you look like other than the description you gave. I suspect HP will look to fake for you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Is moderate plus (silicone) or high profile implants better.

While it is hard to make a specific recommendation for you, there are indication for some that favor a higher profile implant, such as a significant amount of natural breast to cover the implant, narrow spacing on the chest, the desire for a very full or round appearance. The moderate profile will give a softer flow, and can be more easily hidden with soft breast tissue or less cover, less upper rounding, and can work better with wide breast spacing. We tend toward moderate plus unless patient expectation would indicate otherwise. Best luck with your search.

Breast Implant Profiles

Thanks for the question.  The most important variable in determining the best implant profile for your build is the transverse breast width.  This is the distance from the armpit side of the breast to the cleavage aspect of the breast.  Based on this measurement and the desired size of the implant based on patient sizing in the office, an appropriate range of implant profiles and sizes can be determined.  This allows for an appropriately sized implant that is not too wide or narrow and gives a natural appearance to the breasts.  Make sure to discuss these issues with your board-certified plastic surgeon in consultation. 

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for the question. This is something that almost every breast augmentation patient deals with. 

It's important to convey to the doctor your concerns. It is also important to take into account the dimensions / frame / size of the patient. Each implant will have a different look on different women. 

Last, I would always recommend patients to bring in pics of breasts that they like. Having a visual of your "dream" or goal breasts is very helpful to the doctor in knowing what kind of look you are trying to achieve. 

As far as the difference, there is no "better" implant. Both are great options. Generally high profile will look more youthful and perky. moderate will have a more natural shape. 

You should have several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area before making any final decisions.

As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure your health care concerns are managed by your primary care physician.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Implant profile

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Which profile to use

You ask a common question. Most plastic surgeons use a dimensional analysis when it comes to picking an implant. It will depend on the base width of your breast and the size of the implant that you choose. However, other factors enter into the equation, such as the elasticity of your skin and the shape of the breast, and whether or not you have had stretching from pregnancy or weight gain and loss. Try to find pictures on one of the websites available now of a patient similar to yourself in height and weight who has had an implant you are considering. Ultimately, communication with your plastic surgeon is most important.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Focus on the look you want!

Very common question. The best advice I can give in this forum is to make sure you feel confident you have conveyed the specific look you are going for to your surgeon(s) and to trust your surgeon's guidance. It is easy to get caught up in the details. Try to simplify it and just really focus on the look. In my practice, goal photos, bra sizers, and 3D imaging assist in that process. After we have locked down a pretty specific size range of interest, then we take a look at the specifics of your anatomy to figure out which profile implant matches you best. Keep in mind, higher profile implants are narrower for a given volume whereas lower profile implants will be wider. For that reason, it really depends on the specific measurements of your breasts coupled with the volume we are trying to achieve. Seek out as many opinions as you need until you feel comfortable and confident with your plan.  Good luck!!