Low or moderate profile with lift? (photos)

28 y/o, 130 pounds, currently getting a lift with 375 CC in right and 325 CC in left with low profile. The doctor originally had me with a moderate profile but I got scared I would be too top heavy which I do not want. I want a natural, perky look. I am conflicted now because low profiles don't seem to be as commonly used as moderate and I'm wondering if I should stick w/ moderate

No breast lift

From these photos, you may get a result you are very happy with by having a straight forward breast augmentation. You will need to be seen in person to determine if a lift is necessary. Please seek an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Be sure to express your goals and expectations to your chosen surgeon. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery 

San Francisco Bay Area 

#realself  #drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Profile Choice with Lift

I typically will use low profile implants with a mastopexy or a breast lift as the implant will accomplish what the lift cannot, namely upper pole fullness.  The glandular tissue is usually ample with those needing lifts so a smaller implant with a low profile is suggested since the volume is distributed in the perimeter of the implant.  That being said, I am wondering why it's been suggested that you have a lift.  The one picture of you demonstrates no sagging that I can see, so why the extra expense and the extra scars of a lift?  You do have some volume asymmetry and possibly some unevenness in nipple position but I don't see an overwhelming reason to perform a lift.  You may want to get a second opinion about this.  I would perform an augmentation alone and use a medium or moderate plus profile implants.  These are the most common implants in terms of the profile that I use in my primary augmentations.

Christopher J. Schaffer, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Low or moderate profile with lift

The low profile implant will not give you as perky of an appearance as the moderate or moderate plus implant.

Julio Garcia, MD

MOst important thing to consdier when choosing an implant is your base width

The base width is the width of your chest that each breast sits on.  Roughly, it's calculated by measuring the distance from 1.5 cm lateral to midline all the way to where your lateral breast and chest wall meet.  Any implant wider than that and your arms will hit your implant when you're walking.  Any implant narrower than that and it will have a "stuck-on" appearance and look un-natural.  Once you've got that measurement, you then can choose a projection or profile to go with.  The more projected the implant is for any given base width, the more volume that implant will have.  I rarely use a low profile implant and after reviewing your pictures and your desires, there is no way I would use that profile of implant on you.  I think you are at least a moderate implant and likely a moderate-plus if choosing a Mentor and style 20 if using a Natrelle implant.

Also wondering about the need for a lift?  Your breasts don't appear to need a lift.  Perhaps choosing the proper implant and doing a dual plane technique would get you the best overall result with the least scars and be cheaper.  Not trying to confuse you last minute and realize this goes without examining you which could change my opinion and recommendations.  Hope this helps.

Implant profile

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for breast augmentation.  The size, shape, and profile of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Low Profile Implants Rarely Used

Each manufacturer has their own designation for their implants, but whichever manufacturer you are using, low is never a great option.  The low profile implants ( or moderate classic from Mentor) are too wide/ flat for almost everyone.  They were the original design of implants years ago but are rarely used today.  The moderate plus (Mentor) / Style 15 moderate (Natrelle) are the most commonly used implant styles throughout the product lines.  They do the best job of providing nice shape and fullness, but still maintain a natural look to a degree.  I would clarify this with your surgeon and possibly go for a second opinion if you have not already.  I hope this helps.

Low or moderate profile with lift?

If you are getting 375 and 325 cc implants, they are most likely Mentor and come in Moderate, Moderate Plus, High, and Extra High profiles. Moderate and Extra High are not commonly used in augmentation. Moderate Plus may give a more natural result. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS