How do I minimise swelling after tummy tuck?

Hi, I'm 2 months post op from a tummy tuck. My questions is how can I minimize the swelling right above my incision. I feel like I have a tight rubber band and my skin is bulging over. I don't have a seroma and I've had a couple of lymphatic massages and have had no success... HELP!

Minimise swelling after tummy tuck.

The best solution is support such as a Spanx conformer, light massage, and of course time. The sttiffness should fade along with the scar and you will be able to judge well after several months.

Swelling After Abdominoplasty

It is normal for patients to have prolonged swelling above the incision for 3-6 months post abdominoplasty.  Some patients continue to wear some form of compression for that length of time, while others massage the area, etc.  There is no great answer except for having patience.  It usually settles down for good around the 6 month mark, but can take a year in a small number of patients.

The swelling above the incision can take months to improve. Massage may help but over time it will resolve. If it is still present a year later, a liposuction touch up may help. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Dr derby

The swelling you can minimize best with the right post op garment and massages. It is normal to still have swelling in the first months after surgery. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Swelling after TT

Thank you for your question. It sounds as though you are doing all of the right things. The massage and light compression tend to help the most, provided you do not have a seroma (your surgeon can help determine that for you). Typically by month #3, most people turn the corner and the swelling subsides. Hang in there. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon