Should I get a mini or full tummy tuck? (Photo)

I have 2 kids and my mid section is very wrinkled. I have lots of loose skin, but will I need a mini or full tummy tuck?

Looks like you can benefit with a full tummy tuck with muscle tightening for a flat abdomen. Please consult with a board certified PS, best of luck!

Tummy Tuck

Hi Reneereed,

Thank you for the pictures and questions. Based on the pictures you submitted it looks as if you would benefit from a full tummy tuck. I suggest consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. Best of Luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. I would recommend you a full Tummy Tuck as the most recommendable procedure for you. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mini or full tummy tuck

Thank you for the question and photos. Assuming you have completed your family and don't plan any more pregnancies, you would best be served by a full tummy tuck with plication or tightening of the abdominal wall muscles.  The loose skin of the abdomen will not tighten no matter how many crunches or planks you do. You also appear to have an umbilical hernia that can be addressed at the time of a tummy tuck. Tightening the abdominal wall muscles will enhance your core tone and help improve your posture as well. I can tell you that most plastic surgeons would LOVE to get their hands on you! You can expect a very nice result!Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area (there are lots of good ones there!)Best wishes,Michael Morrissey,MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Full tummy tuck

From these pictures it seems like you have enough skin laxity for a full tummy tuck. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in body contouring and tummy tucks for more individualized information. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

You will do much better with a full tummy tuck. the mini tuck will not address the wrinkled skin above your belly button. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a mini or full tummy tuck

The mini tummy tuck would leave the skin above the level of your belly button less tight than the lower and would look odd. I think a full tummy tuck will correct fore of the loose skin around your belly button and give you a better result

Julio Garcia, MD

Should I get a mini or full tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question and pictures. In my practice, I would only offer you the full tummy tuck operation; any lesser operation would not end up with an outcome that you or I would be pleased with. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Full tummy tuck better than mini when loose skin extends above the belly button

Given the amount of skin laxity in the picture, a full tummy tuck will give you a much better result than a mini. There are several variations on tummy tucks, but a mini usually only works when the loos skin is in the lower abdomen only.

Richard Baxter, MD